ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

01-13-2019, 12:37 PM   #1
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Another F-Type R vs M3 situation

ANOTHERONE!!!

lets get this out that way first.

- i dont need four seats
-i have a beater (03 pilot)
-I suck at driving my 6mt f80, although it is quite fun
-I will never find myself at a track in the near future.
-i get shooketh everytime the back end gets loose in the f80

so the f-type is pretty much calling me....the only thing the f80 still has for me; is that is fucking gorgeous, absolutely timeless classic BMW design. and resale.

Im only 26 so lets be honest; these aren't going to be my cars forever.

I got a 2016 M3, MW, 6mt, exec, 437m, FULL leather, lighting package 20k on the clock.

residual--> 46.5 plus the 30k I've made in lease payements.

Or I could buy a CPO ftyp-r coupe 2016 20k miles. For 60k.

my car is probably worth 50-52 k currently. If I sell the mods...which my f-type wont need Ill probably get back 4k.

So I can literally get into the f-type for maybe lets say just 5-6 k more. Plus a full bumper to bumper till 2023. Which would cost me probably another 3-4K at BMW. So for us car guys(not accounts) we are "even"

MSRPS were probably 30k apart.

The onlything holding me back is the deprecitation. Now Im not going to put an ass load of miles on it. I just simply havn't appreciated the utility of a dual-nautre vechile. Like when Im commuting to work, I really don't want to be in my m3; unless Im trying to show-off . the daily+weekend car has become a better idea in my mind.

So my fear is the f-type will depreciate like lets say one of those AMG mercs, that stickered at over 6 figures, and now is worth 20k with albeit a shit ton of miles.

I know no one can predict; thoughts ? This is probably one the best sounding v8s ever. The car direction is changing immensely; and at only 26; Im still a purist in the sense that I don't care about numbers, just driving loud ass cars that have soul.

The f8x has plenty of soul; but extremely hard to tap into it unless you are at a track, Ugh never though I would have mixed feelings. My car is leaking washer fluid in the garage as I type this
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 12:50 PM   #2
six-n-twins53
Amateur Tattoo Artist
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

What's an F type? Is that a car from Tata motors?

Joking. Sounds like you need a jaguar
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 01:19 PM   #3
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by six-n-twins53 View Post
What's an F type? Is that a car from Tata motors?

Joking. Sounds like you need a jaguar
yeah, i admit i am on the fence for no reason. based on my driving skill and utility the f80 will never be what i want it to be. this saddens me like crazy.

The only thing was warranties; which jag offers to 2023 bumper to bumper; you can;t beat that...

I also fear the f8x won't hold their resale as well anymore. back in the day it was a feat to get a lot of HP; like the e90 m3 was respected. now your standard 3er with a tune; cant keep pace on the street. obvs the track the f8x will destroy a lot of cars. even if i end up keeping the M; im worried about resale, because it seems a shitload were sold. especially the exclusivity of the sedan. I will likely have a "speical one" very low miles, 6mt, full leather, popular color combo white on red. But it just seems i see the car too much. very likely delusional lol.

anyone feel like the Jag will become an afterthought? I know the f8x won't simply because of M heritage. I can't imagine even trying to sell the M after 6 years. Ill get a bunch of tire-kickers (like a once was buying my g35) type people. the full leather no one is going to notice so thats literally a 3k wash. I am learning the pitfalls of expensive options.

The funniest thing as i ramble...Once i sit in a ftype i might not even comofrtably fit. Im 6 foot but with long legs. I hear its cramped as F in there.

Another fear, I feel like i am buying another G35 type car.

Japanesse muscle. British muscle. but seems like muscle cars are my bag

why did this idea pop into my mind. the most resilient parasite.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 02:10 PM   #4
Wmf80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: f80

How bad are you in driving 6mt?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 05:04 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Go to carmax for a quote before you get too far into planning.

If you want the F type R and don't need 4 seats, get after it
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 24 Z06, 23 CT4VBW, 22 PFinder

I’ve tracked a couple of times with a F-Type R in the group and to be honest, I don’t think they sound that good. For a V8 they sound really raspy/tinny IMO. This was when I had my GT350 and everybody loved the sound of that over the Jag. I think US V8s sound much better vs this one IMO.

Gorgeous cars though and unfortunately the guy that was driving it those days couldn’t drive worth shit so I can’t really comment on how it handled compared to other cars.

Last edited by minn19; 01-13-2019 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-13-2019, 05:58 PM   #7
damnitBobby
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP

I might be in the minority here but why exactly do most people on here think the F-type R sounds so amazing? I mean it does sound good, but which V8 doesn't sound good?

To me it sounds like Mustang 5.0 with an exhaust. In which case I'd save $40k and just buy a new Mustang 5.0.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 07:09 PM   #8
jninja
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 ZCP 6MT

Garage List
"-i get shooketh everytime the back end gets loose in the f80"

I had to read this line a couple times...why in the world did you buy an M3? If you just wanted the speed, and not the drama, shoulda bought a 340i...not trying to be crude, but everything you posted reeks of poser don't want drama, don't want track, not good in 6MT...lmao, this is some embarrassing confession time
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:00 PM   #9
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja View Post
"-i get shooketh everytime the back end gets loose in the f80"

I had to read this line a couple times...why in the world did you buy an M3? If you just wanted the speed, and not the drama, shoulda bought a 340i...not trying to be crude, but everything you posted reeks of poser don't want drama, don't want track, not good in 6MT...lmao, this is some embarrassing confession time
lol typical keyboard warrior.

how am I a poser? What am I posing as?

i've been driving stick for 10 years so yeah, I can drive it well. Furthermore, bad at 6mt is a baseless comment on this platform because it rev-matchs.
I'm actually a good manual driver. I can heel-toe and all. i see you've driven a g35; so have I, does that make me good enough? its hilarious on the internet when someone blasts you; when you were making a little fun of yourself.

next.

I liked the car, so I bought it. as simple as that. I am obviously exaggerating the back end stuff, as the traction control wouldnt let the car slide much. Maybe I have some regrets, but no need to get all personnel; because I can't drive the car like chris harris. but whatever i don't know you; or anyone on this fourm; so how could i be embarrassed by that occurs on bimmerpost lol.

I've also been driving on bald rears so that is probably the reason I have such problems right now. Im all good in the summer. and i have 295s to throw on the back.

anywayz i confessed. my body is melting with overbearing anixety of what the internet world will think of me.

its a fuckin car and im talking about it on a car fourm; get a grip
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #10
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
I might be in the minority here but why exactly do most people on here think the F-type R sounds so amazing? I mean it does sound good, but which V8 doesn't sound good?

To me it sounds like Mustang 5.0 with an exhaust. In which case I'd save $40k and just buy a new Mustang 5.0.
you are very correct. unfortunately I will never drive american. unless a classic.

plus i need some curb appeal.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2019, 09:32 PM   #11
fusionchicken
Captain
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, Z4M Roadster

I love the Jag's V8 exhaust, get it I don't think you will regret it. You can try to find one at your local Carmax to test drive first too, if you haven't tried one yet
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:03 AM   #12
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

going for the test drive now. Alas, i was stupid and forgot that the remaining lease payments would be added to the car. only two left...car switchitits is a serious mental disorder
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:22 AM   #13
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by G35POPPEDMYCHERRY View Post
lol typical keyboard warrior.

how am I a poser? What am I posing as?

i've been driving stick for 10 years so yeah, I can drive it well. Furthermore, bad at 6mt is a baseless comment on this platform because it rev-matchs.
I'm actually a good manual driver. I can heel-toe and all. i see you've driven a g35; so have I, does that make me good enough? its hilarious on the internet when someone blasts you; when you were making a little fun of yourself.

next.

I liked the car, so I bought it. as simple as that. I am obviously exaggerating the back end stuff, as the traction control wouldnt let the car slide much. Maybe I have some regrets, but no need to get all personnel; because I can't drive the car like chris harris. but whatever i don't know you; or anyone on this fourm; so how could i be embarrassed by that occurs on bimmerpost lol.

I've also been driving on bald rears so that is probably the reason I have such problems right now. Im all good in the summer. and i have 295s to throw on the back.

anywayz i confessed. my body is melting with overbearing anixety of what the internet world will think of me.

its a fuckin car and im talking about it on a car fourm; get a grip
I wouldn't call you a poser and I think that is unfair. But, via your own descriptions about yourself and you post history, you do remind me of this guy.

Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 09:24 AM   #14
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

I've often thought about going for the Jag. It's a sweet looking ride and I don't see many of them on the road. I would have to go with whatever top of the line version they have. That version is sick. We just had a baby so I need to have a car with backseats. The M4 is perfect for me. Sporty 2 door with a kids seat in the rear. Haha

You should hit up Kief for his perspective. He has car ADD and owned an F type recently. I think he's in a M3 CS at the moment.

Good Luck
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 10:23 AM   #15
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I love the F-Type R, but I'd still go a GT350 over it.

I was looking around this weekend and the GT350s all of a sudden seem to be seeing some depreciation. I saw a bunch of low mileage 16s for low 40s.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 12:16 PM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja View Post
everything you posted reeks of poser don't want drama, don't want track, not good in 6MT...lmao, this is some embarrassing confession time

But but light up M logos in the seats!!
Appreciate 1
      01-14-2019, 01:53 PM   #17
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
I wouldn't call you a poser and I think that is unfair. But, via your own descriptions about yourself and you post history, you do remind me of this guy.

damn man thats racist as fuck, but not too far off lol.
Appreciate 1
minn1914078.00
      01-14-2019, 02:05 PM   #18
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

okay first off thanks for everyone that provide constructive feedback. I feel like someone people on this forum, myself included, get offended when people drive M-sport editions, or can't drift their M3...blah, blah. Or when people look down their nose at DCT drivers because they are god almighty in their manual transmission. I get it sometimes people feel insecure; we are car ethunaists; but not everyone goes to drag strips/tracks or car meets. Most anger is displaced because your idea that M was an exclusive brand got shitted down the toilet over the last 5 years. Everything is an M now and you are upset since you don't have an exclusive car anymore (public's eyes) A car is a status symbol; doesn't matter how much you buy into it. I don't let it get to my head; i still type with terrible grammar and show up to walmart in my m3. I could buy the ftype-r in cash if I wanted to right now.

The fact of the matter is; most people who drive nice cars; aren't even into cars. They are into money. Like we are in this little bubble called bimmerpost; imagine the percentage of cars and people that aren't on the forums. You think they are chris harris driving the car? it's a car at the end of the day; and BMW is in the business to sell as many as possible. So just deal with reality and stop calling people posers and shit. If you wanna be an idiot and spend 55k for a 428xi; then shit, there's a sucker born every minute, and BMW gunna take them for all they got. Shit even some rarris and lambos have lost their exclusivity.
Appreciate 1
minn1914078.00
      01-14-2019, 02:09 PM   #19
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
damn man thats racist as fuck, but not too far off lol.
Yah, I wasn’t trying to go down that road obviously. Had you not said your own description of yourself in previous posts, I wouldn’t of posted it at all. It is obviously a parody/joke and I don’t actually think you are like that in real life.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 02:21 PM   #20
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

anwayz test drove the ftype-r today. biggest takeaways

car is straight sex on wheels. the body flows so nice. However it looked to be a recent lease return as it still had some tar on it and hadn't been detailed.

The interior does feel slightly cheap; especially if you are comparing it to a full leather f8x. the cup holder thing is clumsy; and the vents coming out of the dash is tacky, and likely to bring a large repair bill.

Now the reason this idea popped into my head... the sound..

Cold-start---valves were open; but make no mistake, an f80 with exhaust(aftermarket) is just as loud if not louder than the ftype-r.

Small revs after warmed up--> The exhaust sounds good but you really need to punch it to 3-4 k to get the sound you are after. However, i wasn't blown away by the sound.
had the salesman rev it up, and it almost feels like it sounds better on videos; than in person...strange i know. I tried with valves open and closed. It almost sounded like a heavy breathing catless downpipe(if that makes any sense ) The exhaust sounded very metallic to me.

Driving it around--> I fit just fine. In fact if I push the seat all the way back, my feet don't touch the pedals and Im 6 feet tall. So Idk what people are smoking. However, an hour commute may change my tune. You are pretty flat just like the M. I had no qualms on the driving postion and could see over the hood.

This jaguar dealership is infested with 25mph speed limits and around town it was nice, the paddle shifting is twitchy as shit(like most are). it sounds nice in the car, but you really only hear the crackles on the let up.

The highyway; the car really connects and blasts you forward, but you just don't feel like you are going that fast. The exhaust screams when you get on it and sounds amazing; however still very metallic and raspy.

Its seems the 428xi shifts better; than the Jag. But they have the same transmission? Someone want to educate me?

All in all, the sound wasn't as hyped up as it is. Newer cars with the overrun have eliminated that from jag's specialty, and just sounds like your typical v8. The steering wheels also felt a bit toyish compared to the overall feel of the car. Like holding onto a rope trying to tame a gorilla.

I kind of appreciate the unique sound of my M now. Very low deep, almost diseal like exhaust note. Of course thats with Remus axleback+aa midpies+alpine zcp tune+ bms valve controller

Ill see how much the Jag dealer is willing to ball on the price...because it didn't sound as I expected. but that car is still drop dead sexy. fast. and the exhaust still sounds amazing; I just may be a bit spoiled listening to my cousins 458
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2019, 02:22 PM   #21
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minn19 View Post
Yah, I wasn’t trying to go down that road obviously. Had you not said your own description of yourself in previous posts, I wouldn’t of posted it at all. It is obviously a parody/joke and I don’t actually think you are like that in real life.
nah its all good man. lol. its pretty accurate, i was dying when you posted it.
Appreciate 1
minn1914078.00
      01-14-2019, 02:25 PM   #22
minn19
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
nah its all good man. lol. its pretty accurate, i was dying when you posted it.
I told you about the sound by the way of the Jag.

I agree though they are sexy as hell and plenty quick.

Appreciate 0