BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > AP Racing / Alcon big brake kit on a "street" car with a few track days

09-12-2022, 04:36 PM   #1
DLEFTY
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW M2C

AP Racing / Alcon big brake kit on a "street" car with a few track days

All with experience, (specific to a car with 2NH big stock brakes)

When doing a AP Racing or Alcon brake kit, I know some advise against using it on street because of lack of dust boots on calipers, etc....my question is, for a car that will see a few track days per year combined with 2,000-4,000 street miles per year, would these kits survive and be OK long term, or strongly advise against?
Not worried about throwing on just to look cool driving around , debating the merits of stock brakes with 19" wheel limitations and longer/more involved brake pad changes vs. 18" wheel option and fast/easy brake pad changes.
      09-12-2022, 05:06 PM   #2
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I’ve been running the AP calipers that do not have dust seals for a couple years now in the PNW. A friend has as well. Both cars see street miles between track events, in most types of weather. No issues so far. I wouldn’t stress over a couple thousand miles, but you may eventually need to get them rebuilt with new pistons due to corrosion.

That said, Essex offers kits that are essentially the same as the track kits, but that use dust seal calipers. You still get the ability to run 18” wheels and to make pad changes easier. Maybe that’s the way to go if you’re concerned? Only downside I see to this is a carryover from your OEM calipers- you’ll need to keep and eye on the dust seals and replace as needed when they start to crack from the heat. I suppose the paint/powdercoat will discolor as well if you choose red or silver.

https://www.essexparts.com/essex-des...p9562380mm-F80
Appreciate 2
OG Shark4776.00
      09-13-2022, 12:05 PM   #3
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLEFTY View Post

When doing a AP Racing or Alcon brake kit, I know some advise against using it on street because of lack of dust boots on calipers, etc....my question is, for a car that will see a few track days per year combined with 2,000-4,000 street miles per year, would these kits survive and be OK long term, or strongly advise against?
Not worried about throwing on just to look cool driving around , debating the merits of stock brakes with 19" wheel limitations and longer/more involved brake pad changes vs. 18" wheel option and fast/easy brake pad changes.
For that amount of usage even in that region I would think you should still be good long term.

As far as 2NH vs the benefits of either kit - no comparison like you can imagine. Quick pad swaps, much higher fade resistance, better feel, lighter weight, 18" wheels - so much better in every way.

The kit that bentom2 mentioned is excellent as well as does have more environmental protection. I run them on my street E90 M3 and love them. I do not track them as much but they do well on it also. Not quite the fade resistance or weight loss as the AP competition kits but that is a part of the compromise. 18" fitment will be a little more select as well. With the higher ceiling of the F87 vs the E9x M3 I would recommend ducting if running this setup. The Essex/AP competitions kits with their higher fade resistance do not need ducting until a very fast level. The road kit is more of a street set up with the occasional HPDE use but if concern for winter roads is the priority it might be a good fit but do think with that amount of street usage you are talking about the AP competitions or Alcons would definitely still be in play.
Appreciate 3
bentom2335.50
fleetfoot130.50
      09-21-2022, 01:01 PM   #4
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLEFTY View Post

No issues with a few thousand miles of street duty. We have customer who daily the AP 9660/9668 using DS2500 pads then swap to DS1.11 for track duty without any issues.

Pad swap is a breeze with the AP and between the DS2500 and DS1.11 no bed-in is required.

PM us if you have more specific question regarding the AP kit or just want a quote.
Appreciate 0