F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Headlights stuck pointing down
proTUNING Freaks

05-18-2023, 06:55 PM   #1
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i ActiveHybrid 3

Garage List
Headlights stuck pointing down

When I start the car, the headlights are pointing forward. They then go down, but go up an inch or so and stay there. I can't see anything in the dark as the headlights point straight down. These are adaptive headlights, and this is a new issue.

Over the last weekend, I installed LED fog lights and coded them with Bimmercode, but I'm unsure if this had anything to do with it as I haven't been driving in the dark since winter. I tried returning a backup, but it didn't change anything but revert the changes I made, of course.

Is there anything I could have accidentally bumped in the fog light area?

Would adjusting the lights with a screwdriver help, or is it something else as the lights start at normal height and then go down and stay there?

Bimmerlink shows no errors related to lights. Steering wheel still turns lights left and right.

Last edited by NxTH; 05-18-2023 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 08:51 AM   #2
mazen222
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i

First start by adjusting the aim height manually on the headlights themselves. It’s a simple hex screw you rotate. I bought my car and it had that exact thing. Fixed the issue.
If that doesn’t work then It’s most probably your leveling sensor. Mine did the same a few years later but was pointing up. The sensor is located on the driver side near the front of the wheel.
The lever bar on mine was loose so my mechanic drilled a new hole in it and reconnected it. Fixed the issue.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 09:23 AM   #3
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mazen222 View Post
First start by adjusting the aim height manually on the headlights themselves. It’s a simple hex screw you rotate. I bought my car and it had that exact thing. Fixed the issue.
If that doesn’t work then It’s most probably your leveling sensor. Mine did the same a few years later but was pointing up. The sensor is located on the driver side near the front of the wheel.
The lever bar on mine was loose so my mechanic drilled a new hole in it and reconnected it. Fixed the issue.
I recently installed LED fog lights. Is it possible I bumped this bar? Can you show me a picture of it?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2023, 09:49 AM   #4
mazen222
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Could be but in any case you should try step 1 first. Here’s some pics. One attached and one loose. Perhaps not the exact same model but you get the gist.

Again, I would recommend you manually adjust the level first before you play with the sensor
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
NxTH208.00
      05-20-2023, 10:25 AM   #5
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Could be but in any case you should try step 1 first. Here’s some pics. One attached and one loose. Perhaps not the exact same model but you get the gist.

Again, I would recommend you manually adjust the level first before you play with the sensor
Thanks, I'll probably check the sensor first. I don't see how adjusting screws I've never adjusted before would solve the issue. I'd do so if we were talking "little out of adjustment", but my headlights are literally pointing straight down in front of the car suddenly. If I now go and adjust the screws, all that is going to do is put a bandaid on the problem and it remains unsolved. This seems more like a sensor issue to me..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2023, 12:05 AM   #6
YASBBYM3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Cs Lamborghini Huracan

There is no such thing as a coincidence with car issues
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2023, 11:52 AM   #7
NxTH
AH3 Owner
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

It had become loose when I was working with tires. Thank you.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2023, 12:07 PM   #8
mazen222
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

Ok glad to see it was that simple
Appreciate 0