BMW X5 and X6 Forum 2014-Current
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

07-02-2023, 08:07 AM   #1
ekological
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5

Failed water pump

Back in Nov 2021 I heard a weird noise while standing in front of the car while it was idling:

A month later while on line waiting for gas, the dash warned me the car was overheating and to drive less aggressively. I have other cars, so I just parked it and life got busy and I wasn't going to take it to a dealer to get bent over as I work on my cars, if possible. I did see this thread as a possible cause:

https://f15.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1842785

I do remember unscrewing the coolant reservoir cap in spring of 2022 and seeing that it was empty. Bought this kit to check the pressure:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah....could hear it was leaking. Also bought the endoscope camera (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1) to see as it is very tight in the engine bay. It was hard to see anything conclusive, but I was pretty sure the water pump was shot. After removing the undertray, intake, fan, and belt, this is what my friend and I saw:

What a pain in the ass it was to change out. My BMW master tech said, "It's not that bad," when talking about doing the repair. Umm....ok.

BTW, my car is a 2016 with 40k miles when it failed. The pump wheel is plastic and completely separated from the shaft. Bits of bearing starting falling out as we removed it. You can see the lines on the water pump pulley from the belt wasn't centered. The belt was centered on the new pump.

Bought the new pump ($330), thermostat ($99) and other items from FCP euro and fully believe this will have to be done in the short future as a failure at 40k miles?! Saw the post on the other thread from sophisticated redneck about a lower temp thermostat, but researched "Hamburg Tech" and some have said it's not that good. It's just a pain in the ass to get to that I decided to go with OE.

Last edited by ekological; 07-02-2023 at 08:12 AM..
Appreciate 1
Blewx5m128.00
      07-07-2023, 09:53 PM   #2
SaNGRia
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI E93 M3 + F85 X5M

Congrats. This job alot harder than removing the Driver side DP i can tell you that : )
, F85 ACC Retrofit
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2023, 10:12 AM   #3
dentprotony@gmail.com
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 f85

Did mine last weekend, belts, tstat, vacuum lines, boost solenoids
Appreciate 2
G0FNDM3750.00
Blewx5m128.00