F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > ST X coilovers
Studio RSR

07-25-2023, 09:01 PM   #1
tajayq
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

ST X coilovers

I’m looking at possible options to lower my F32 and as I got my car with ~112k KM I’ve been considering just doing a full replacement instead of just lowering springs and I came across the ST X coils which look like a solid option. I notice most people on here use the XA and I can tell why but I wonder if anyone has any experience with the X in terms of the ride quality. I already know that they go low enough for what I want ideally, I’d just like to know if the ride quality is as good.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 02:53 PM   #2
PHX102
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajayq View Post
I had these on a 135i years ago and they were great for my use case… honestly felt as compliant as stock even with it set somewhat low, but not crazy low. I would go with them again if just trying to lower the car and maintain compliance… not up to heavy track use but neither are these cars to be honest.

If you are in an area with a lot of salt/bad winters may way to step up to KW for the added corrosion protection, otherwise they are the same product.
I have also used springs only, and while I didn’t think they were bad, the ST coils had a better ride, less bounce. I found both exceptible for road use but would go with the STs again if I had the coin to do so.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 02:59 PM   #3
tajayq
Jamaica
Rep

I’m so mad I went with H&R Super Sports. I live in Jamaica so salt isn’t an issue since it’s “summer” all year around. I didn’t really have a big budget to work with and the X coils didn’t have that much info behind it so I went with the springs. Guess I’ll be saving for coils in the future
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 10:36 PM   #4
alohasurftoad
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 440i gran coupe w/mppsk

Quote:
I’m so mad I went with H&R Super Sports
can you elaborate on why H&R Super Sports upsets you? is it that you just prefer a coilover? or is it something about H&R SS that you don't like?
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2023, 09:25 AM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
I’m so mad I went with H&R Super Sports. I live in Jamaica so salt isn’t an issue since it’s “summer” all year around. I didn’t really have a big budget to work with and the X coils didn’t have that much info behind it so I went with the springs. Guess I’ll be saving for coils in the future
Congrats

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 1
tajayq9.00
      08-22-2023, 09:28 AM   #6
tajayq
Jamaica
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alohasurftoad View Post
can you elaborate on why H&R Super Sports upsets you? is it that you just prefer a coilover? or is it something about H&R SS that you don't like?
I would’ve preferred the adjustability of coilovers as well as the close-to-stock ride quality. I’ve never driven in a car with Super Sports so I’m not going to shoot it down completely, but I personally prefer the “buy once cry once” mentality and the likelihood of having to redo my suspension setup eventually slightly peeves me.
Appreciate 1