F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / TSBs and Service Bulletin > Replacing Steering rack F30
Studio RSR

08-19-2023, 09:39 AM   #1
G.Cosmin
CosminR
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i - 2012

Replacing Steering rack F30

Hello,

I'm here to get some clarification about replacing my faulty steering rack.

Short story, i got some water in the steering rack and doesn't work anymore, i was at the repair shop and after dismantling the rack they said it can't be repaired. So, i need to get a used one.

As i know, i have S216 option, which is servotronic, so i have FSC code in the rack module. my car is 2012 so is hard to find an older rack for replacing to change the fsc code without problem and if the rack in newer than mine and has already a fsc code in it i can't change it.(please correct me if i'm wrong).

At this moment i'm trying to find a used rack from a car without S216 option, cuz i find that i can put my fsc code in there if isn't one already, and the rack can be newer than mine but i don't understand the following:

My steering rack, searched with vin(J401838) on realoem said it's ZF.
I searched many parts online but didn't find one with the codes for me, si i'm asking if this one 32106868825 can be put on my car and coded with fsc.
I'm thinking this part come from a car without S216 or S2VLA because didn't have the ZF or SPORT/TKP supp. Here is the part link.

Please help meeee!
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2023, 07:51 PM   #2
giraffewt
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by G.Cosmin View Post
Hello,

I'm here to get some clarification about replacing my faulty steering rack.

Short story, i got some water in the steering rack and doesn't work anymore, i was at the repair shop and after dismantling the rack they said it can't be repaired. So, i need to get a used one.

As i know, i have S216 option, which is servotronic, so i have FSC code in the rack module. my car is 2012 so is hard to find an older rack for replacing to change the fsc code without problem and if the rack in newer than mine and has already a fsc code in it i can't change it.(please correct me if i'm wrong).

At this moment i'm trying to find a used rack from a car without S216 option, cuz i find that i can put my fsc code in there if isn't one already, and the rack can be newer than mine but i don't understand the following:

My steering rack, searched with vin(J401838) on realoem said it's ZF.
I searched many parts online but didn't find one with the codes for me, si i'm asking if this one 32106868825 can be put on my car and coded with fsc.
I'm thinking this part come from a car without S216 or S2VLA because didn't have the ZF or SPORT/TKP supp. Here is the part link.

Please help meeee!
I replaced mine with an older one and everything works fine so far.

There are so many part numbers and I couldn’t find the exact match before buying. I used my part number and checked the part details in realoem. (There is a “Superseded by” section in reaoem I used to check compatibility.)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2023, 02:51 AM   #3
G.Cosmin
CosminR
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i - 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by giraffewt View Post
I replaced mine with an older one and everything works fine so far.

There are so many part numbers and I couldn’t find the exact match before buying. I used my part number and checked the part details in realoem. (There is a “Superseded by” section in reaoem I used to check compatibility.)
I was planning to do that too, but i can't find one older ) my car is 2012..
Appreciate 0