hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Considering a '17 X5M. Thoughts?

Hello All!! I'm currently in a 2016 M2 DCT (come from a '05 ZHP 330ci, '11 E90 335i w/Power Kit, '13 335is, '16 340i M Sport and now an M2). My goal for the last couple of years has been to get into an X5 M50i or even an X5 M. I recently had the opportunity to drive the X5 M50i (2021 model) and while it was a great car in almost every way, the handling just didn't feel right to me. But then I got an opportunity to drive a 2017 X5M and was very impressed. This thing may not have handled the way my cars handled (all of them had upgraded suspensions since handling is more important to me than acceleration), but it definitely got the job done. Granted, I was only able to take it through a couple of roundabouts and a couple of looping onramps, but it was enough that I think I would be happy with it (especially if I slightly upgrade the suspension as I plan on doing).

So, here is my dilemma: the X5 is priced right about where it should be (it's in excellent condition, no modifications whatsoever, no dings on the Carfax and fully loaded with almost every option available for that year), but the mileage is right up at 55K. My M2 is right about 63K so I'm looking at comparable mileage figures, but I've been reading some horror stories about the X5 M. I"m not planning on modifying the car (aside from the minor suspension upgrade) so I'm really torn about whether I should pull the trigger on this X5 M or not. I love the M2, but where the M2 does one thing VERY WELL (and I do long drives on the weekends with a little bit of spirited driving through backroads), the X5 M does almost everything very well, including handling the twisties and backroads.

I'm seeing an opportunity becuase I love the F85 platform, but I have little to no experience with X5's, so please, if you have an comments, opinions or thoughts that I should be aware of, please chime in.

Thank you in advance!!
      09-08-2023, 07:28 PM   #2
tfunk88
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 50i

I have a 2016 X5 50i. Bought it in April with 93k miles on it. It now has 112k on it. I’ve had several BMW coupes, including a few E46 M3’s. This one may be my absolute favorite. However, there were a couple mods to get it to where I absolutely love it-

1. Eibach springs and Bilstein B6 dampers. Absolutely transformed the handling. Granted, the original shocks were beyond needing replacing! I’d guess it would improve the F85 ride and handling, though it wouldn’t lower the X5M as much as it did mine.

2. Replacing the stock brakes with F85 brakes front and rear. No need to do this on the F85 lol

I considered an F85 but couldn’t justify the price difference to myself. I got mine for $22k and the cheapest F85 was close to $40k at the time. Based on my experience it should be good as long as it was properly maintained, though there are some services that will be more complicated due to the larger turbos…for instance if I have to replace valve cover gaskets I won’t have to remove the turbos whereas on the X5M they have to come out. But man…the M is pretty awesome, so maybe it’s worth it lol

Sorry I’m not more help
Appreciate 1
hybrid90246.50
      09-08-2023, 10:37 PM   #3
hybrid90
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Garage List
2021 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfunk88 View Post
I have a 2016 X5 50i. Bought it in April with 93k miles on it. It now has 112k on it. I’ve had several BMW coupes, including a few E46 M3’s. This one may be my absolute favorite. However, there were a couple mods to get it to where I absolutely love it-

1. Eibach springs and Bilstein B6 dampers. Absolutely transformed the handling. Granted, the original shocks were beyond needing replacing! I’d guess it would improve the F85 ride and handling, though it wouldn’t lower the X5M as much as it did mine.

2. Replacing the stock brakes with F85 brakes front and rear. No need to do this on the F85 lol

I considered an F85 but couldn’t justify the price difference to myself. I got mine for $22k and the cheapest F85 was close to $40k at the time. Based on my experience it should be good as long as it was properly maintained, though there are some services that will be more complicated due to the larger turbos…for instance if I have to replace valve cover gaskets I won’t have to remove the turbos whereas on the X5M they have to come out. But man…the M is pretty awesome, so maybe it’s worth it lol

Sorry I’m not more help
Actually, that’s quite a bit of help. That’s exactly the suspension upgrade I was thinking of and the fact that you’re coming from the same background (car wise) is exactly the perspective I was looking for! Thank you so much for the input. Maybe I should give the 50i another look since I’m planning on upgrading the suspension anyway. It would save me a bit of $$
      09-09-2023, 07:49 PM   #4
Chilled
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F85 X5M

Unless your heart is set of a "X5 M", not a X5, but a "X5 M" or nothing, then get one.

If you are just after a X5, go with the newer 21 50i. Just make sure it has the air suspension as these ride way smoother/nicer.
  • Newer plastics/parts less day 1 maintenance needed.
  • No ///M Tax, where the same part with a minuscule/no difference is at least 2x the cost.
  • Newer tech

So yeah, unless your heart set on a "X5 M" and you are willing to put up with older gen and the ///M-nes. Go with the 21 50i, hell from a reliability/parts POV go with the B58.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2023, 08:56 PM   #5
Housekeeping
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M5

It’s a BMW so expect to pay. I have a 2017 X5M, purchased with 25k miles, now around 40k miles. So far, front diff replaced, rear air shocks, some front suspension, front brake pads, intake tubes, etc, etc. The plastics under the hood are made of paper mache, garbage. Total in 2 yrs $10k ish. I still love it however.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2023, 10:25 AM   #6
Mandinca
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E88 and 2016 F85

I just got a 2016 about three months ago from a BMW dealer. 60K miles.
Decided on the extended warranty since .... who knows....right ?

Honestly....do it. Just do it.
I have a stage two E88 and the X5M is THE most fun I've had in a car...ever.
Tech, comfort and a V8, twin turbo that just barks at you on upshifts.
My neighbor has a newer Mustang 5.0 and I took him out in the X5M.....his first words were "f me this is fast"

Just wait to get the spec you want. I waited a year for a Donnington grey on black 2016 with under 60K.

Good luck !