F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F36 Steering Knuckle / Strut problem
ARMA SPEED

10-03-2023, 10:14 AM   #1
miguelsplot
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 435i

F36 Steering Knuckle / Strut problem

Hello everyone, ever since I bought my F36 (with around 65K miles) I've noticed a strange clicking and squeaking sound coming from the front left tire. It got worse and worse and I took it in for an estimate and found out the strut has protruded past where it normally stops on the knuckle. The dealership told me I need to replace the strut, knuckle and wheel bearing and quoted all that north of $4K.

I looked at all the parts and essentially the parts are around $1300 but my question is, do you think I need to replace the knuckle all together? From a visual inspection it doesn't seem to be frayed or split open, and I was wondering if I should just change the strut.

Pictures Front left 1 and 2 show the problem. Picture Front Right 1 is the correct setup for comparison.

I have searched the forums but haven't seen this particular case before and was wondering if anyone else has seen this as well?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 04:20 PM   #2
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Is there an independent shop in your area where you can get a second opinion?

Dealers are not always wrong but they tend to be more willing to replace / refresh all parts which work closely together to perform a certain function. It's understandable: more revenue, fewer customer complaints. What if the aging part fails and causes a newer attached part to fail as well?

Suspension components experience a lot of stress. It's not uncommon to refresh all parts with rubber bushings beyond a certain mileage + shocks + springs.

Second opinion is always a prudent next step.
Appreciate 2
Jvac438.00
Polo088161616.00
      10-03-2023, 08:51 PM   #3
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguelsplot View Post
Hello everyone, ever since I bought my F36 (with around 65K miles) I've noticed a strange clicking and squeaking sound coming from the front left tire. It got worse and worse and I took it in for an estimate and found out the strut has protruded past where it normally stops on the knuckle. The dealership told me I need to replace the strut, knuckle and wheel bearing and quoted all that north of $4K.

I looked at all the parts and essentially the parts are around $1300 but my question is, do you think I need to replace the knuckle all together? From a visual inspection it doesn't seem to be frayed or split open, and I was wondering if I should just change the strut.

Pictures Front left 1 and 2 show the problem. Picture Front Right 1 is the correct setup for comparison.

I have searched the forums but haven't seen this particular case before and was wondering if anyone else has seen this as well?
If it were really bad, the alignment would be considerably off.
Appreciate 0