F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > time for an upgrade
proTUNING Freaks

10-09-2023, 07:55 PM   #1
greyf36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Grey F36

time for an upgrade

hi guys, i've always stick with OEM and wondering if there's a good upgrade option (rotos and pads) for my 15 f36 (428)

I am tired of the brake dust so anything with less dust will be nice too.
Also, what is something to look for when buying the parts? I see alot of different parts number and got me a bit confused. How do I find out which parts will fit my car and which will not?

thanks everyone!
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2023, 09:23 PM   #2
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Unless you go larger there's no real rotor upgrade from OEM. Slots and drilled look nice, but they don't work any better for a daily driver. Get Akebono Euro pads for major dust reduction. Look up the OEM part numbers at realoem.com, cross reference those for third party parts.
Appreciate 2
greyf36112.50
      10-09-2023, 11:18 PM   #3
greyf36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Grey F36

extremely helpful my friend! really appreciated it
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 01:35 PM   #4
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Unless you go larger there's no real rotor upgrade from OEM. Slots and drilled look nice, but they don't work any better for a daily driver. Get Akebono Euro pads for major dust reduction. Look up the OEM part numbers at realoem.com, cross reference those for third party parts.
+1
While I preferred after-market for pads (due mainly to feel and dust issues), I found the BMW rotors to be very good in terms of quality and longevity. Even price can be competitive. Fingers crossed on needing new rotors and a sale happening at the same time.
      10-10-2023, 04:19 PM   #5
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

Coincidentally I just changed my front pads to Akebono yesterday. I did the rears with Akebono a year ago. I knew that the front wheels were getting a lot more dust than the rear, thus the change, but didn't realize how much difference there was until I pulled the wheels. The inside barrels of the front wheels were totally black. That was no surprise, they have been every year when I pulled them to rotate the tires. I clean them with Flash Brown Royal, a ScotchBrite pad and power washer. I was shocked when I pulled the rears and they were practically clean. A light spray with Flash Brown and a quick rinse and they looked like new. I went for a drive today, didn't notice any difference in the stopping power. In theory the harder Akebono might wear the rotors faster, but IMO worth it to not have to wash my rims weekly.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2023, 07:28 PM   #6
cfm56d7b
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 440i Gran Coupe & 2015 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyf36 View Post
hi guys, i've always stick with OEM and wondering if there's a good upgrade option (rotos and pads) for my 15 f36 (428)

I am tired of the brake dust so anything with less dust will be nice too.
Also, what is something to look for when buying the parts? I see alot of different parts number and got me a bit confused. How do I find out which parts will fit my car and which will not?

thanks everyone!
While presence of brake dust can be unwanted, brake dust is just an indicator that brake pads perform as expected: soft enough to allow the rotor to shave off a thin layer and expose a fresh surface of brake compound to the rotor.

Either the rotor life is reduced due to a harsher pad or the rotor life is extended due to a softer pad (hence the dust of course).
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2023, 10:22 PM   #7
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
Exactly. With help of the caliper, the rotor is doing the work of turning kinetic energy into heat energy. A rotor of exactly the same size, even with dimples, slots, or rainbows, is not going to magically amass more heat energy. A larger rotor is the only thing that is going to do that.