F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > Fog Light Height
ARMA SPEED

11-21-2023, 06:27 AM   #1
fox88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Xdrive

Fog Light Height

Ok, I know this is dumb. And its my fault. I've put lights in for people in 100+ cars over the years. And to get things pretty close, I always back them in the garage, mark with tape on the garage door where the beam is, then align the new ones to the same location. Quick, easy and has always served me well.

Until I just swapped light in my own car. And I forgot to do it.

So anyway, to try and get things back to where they were....has anyone in here, or would anyone want to help. I know its not exact, and there are outlying factors. That's ok here.

If someone could back their car into a garage, and simply measure the distance from the nose to the door, and then height of light from the floor, is all I need to get me close enough to where I should be. I know its asking a lot. I'm sorry. (and yes, I'm aware of the 25' standard for setting up lights. I'm also aware that most of us don't have an area that long and flat enough to properly do it) and that's OK also!

My original ones worked well, I just wanted to swap them out as they were not in the best of shape these days.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 08:08 AM   #2
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox88 View Post
My original ones worked well, I just wanted to swap them out as they were not in the best of shape these days.
Since your car is 2015, I assume you have the halogen fog lights, right?

Suggestion - if you are replacing with OEM, just measure the adjustment screw on your original ones (measure the length or count the turns it takes to get the light either all the way up or down) and then replicate on your new ones. This should get you very close to where the lights should be pointing at. Otherwise, I agree, you need someone else to give you the measurements. I can help you, but after 8 pm Eastern time tonight.
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 08:10 AM   #3
Billfitz
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 328iX GT

I set mine where the fog light pattern fills in below the low beam lamp pattern.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 03:12 PM   #4
fox88
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 328i Xdrive

I had OEM housings, with yellow PIAA bulbs in them. The housings have seen better days. So I found some replacement yellow LED housings, and swapped those in. I typically only use them when I really need them, and yellow rules! But yes, it did have halogens before. Just not now.

The beam yes, it is BELOW the low beams. From what I know, they're "supposed" to be about 4" below the headlights at 25' distance. I was never that good at math, so trying to determine a distance less than that, not my strong suite.

I know it shouldn't be a major concern, but I'm picky about my lighting. Especially where I live at. Super dark. Little street lights. My car came with halogen headlights, which were just underwhelming to say the least. I did the Umnitza LED housing upgrade back in the day, and they are still kicking butt!
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2023, 03:57 PM   #5
Oksamit78
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E39, F30 & F34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox88 View Post
I had OEM housings, with yellow PIAA bulbs in them. The housings have seen better days. So I found some replacement yellow LED housings, and swapped those in. I typically only use them when I really need them, and yellow rules! But yes, it did have halogens before. Just not now.

The beam yes, it is BELOW the low beams. From what I know, they're "supposed" to be about 4" below the headlights at 25' distance. I was never that good at math, so trying to determine a distance less than that, not my strong suite.

I know it shouldn't be a major concern, but I'm picky about my lighting. Especially where I live at. Super dark. Little street lights. My car came with halogen headlights, which were just underwhelming to say the least. I did the Umnitza LED housing upgrade back in the day, and they are still kicking butt!
In the mean time take a look at this set of instructions:
http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html
2017 F34 340i XDrive w/ M Sport Pack, Azure II /Black, B58B30M0, Dinan Stage 1
Appreciate 0