View Single Post
      07-20-2007, 08:49 PM   #20
RMRC
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDomer View Post
Just went to Autobahn Autoclub in Joliet, IL. They have 10 335i's. They're all autos. All came initially without the air/oil cooler installed. All 10 had overheating problems and limp mode problems regularly after 30 mins of hot lapping (balls to the wall). Now they have the air/oil coolers installed and they have overheating problems after 60 mins of hot lapping. My car didn't overheat after 40 mins of track time, but only 10 mins was at my limit of ability (8/10ths of car's ability probably ) I rode a couple laps with Tom Bagley (look him up... Indy 500 '78-'80... top finish was 9th) and he drove the car at 10/10ths in 86F heat and had the heater and defrost maxed to keep temps from shutting the car down. The course is the 1.4 mile north course and he was getting the car up to 115mph on the straights and just beating the heck out of it (probably 30 laps total). It probably would've gone into limp mode in a couple more laps, but it held up ok. What great fun that was....
Over a week ago I sent Mark and Tom my graphs and asked if they could comment but I never received a response. I'm not surprised since I've been told by someone close to folks at Autobahn that they are "working" with BMW on a fix for this. I hope a fix comes soon because I can only get about 15mins of lapping before my car with cooler goes into limp home mode. I have not tried turning the heater on full blast though so perhps I'll try that.

Last edited by RMRC; 07-20-2007 at 10:45 PM..
Appreciate 0