07-20-2007, 09:15 PM   #21
BMWdrmz
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by reb03 View Post
Over a week ago I sent Tom my graphs and asked if he could comment but I never received a response. I'm not surprised since I've been told by someone close to folks at Autobahn that they are "working" with BMW on a fix for this. I hope a fix comes soon because I can only get about 15mins of lapping before my car with cooler goes into limp home mode. I have not tried turning the heater on full blast though so perhps I'll try that.
This is such a complex problem. There could be a number of variables, including the weight of the oil you're running. If you think about it, the more friction your engine generates from all the moving parts the more heat it will generate. That's why motorsport oils tend to be higher weight to reduce internal engine friction and hold up to higher engine temps. That in and of itself will not keep an engine cool, but it plays a factor. Also heat is what causes an oil to break down and lose viscosity. Since I've been doing track days this year I've been using 10W-60 Castrol TWS motorsport oil (same oil recommended for my M3 when I had it). Knock on wood, I have not experienced extreme engine temps (that's including 30 mins of hot lapping). I have no doubts that the oil cooler could stand to be a bit larger, but there has to be other factors.
In any case I have a track day scheduled this Sunday. The ambient temp should be around 75F-78F. I'll let you know what I notice my oil temps are when I get back.
Does anyone know what I could use to hook something up to measure coolant temp. I would like to start gathering some real data that I can post for everyone.
Appreciate 0