04-27-2013, 08:24 AM   #20
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
Well, technically no, the Mag-Moss would not protect you specifically with BMW because BMW offers the required maintenance for free.

Mag-Moss sought to eliminate "tie-in" sales to maintain warranty.
That means that a manufacturer can not deny warranty coverage if you did the maintenance work yourself or had an independent shop do it, as long as the parts used met the manufacturers specs, and the customer can show receipts for the parts used.

For example, the manufacture can't force or make a customer buy a specific brand oil in order to maintain warranty.
That also goes for the work involved.
Thus, a customer can change their own oil as long as they use oil filters and oil that meets the manufacturer specs, and as long as they can show that the maintenance was preformed warranty can not be denied.

But, there is an exception in the law.
The manufacturer CAN require specific brand oil and filters IF the manufacturer provides the parts and labor free of charge.
BMW does provide and perform all the required maintenance free of additional charge.
This means that BMW could deny a warranty claim if the customer doesn't use BMW specific oil and filters, not just parts that meet manufacturer specs.

Of course, it is not likely that BMW would do that to a customer, but according to the law, BMW would be within the law if they denied warranty to a customer who used non BMW specific oil and filters.

It's an odd quirk, but it's in there.
OP said he was planning on using OEM filter, which I'd always recommend. As far as oil is concerned, BMW gives spec for oil in owners manual as as long as your oil meets that spec, you're fine.

Regarding the Act, I'm not sure of this provision you refer to, but what was the intent of Congress? Intent goes a long way. One can argue that BMW does not provide maintenance "free". The cost is built into the MSRP of the vehicle.