05-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #18
Musashi
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i XDrive Laguna Seca

best option is zinc coating...

Quote:
Originally Posted by claykin View Post
Correct, but let me add first you need to grind/sand that rusty stuff off (and get it all off as rust is a cancer) then prime with a galvanizing primer before painting with high temp paint.

Then that will only get you a year or two before the paint will likely begin to fail and rust will resume.

Only solution is to replace with aftermarket rotors made of better quality metals. Good luck with that!
I do not know about other cities, but in Ottawa I could just take them at KVR and they can perform a zinc coating. Essentially $ 20/disc, it is a 2 day process and the discs are dipped in a liquid an electrical current used to coat them grey black or gold. Any zinc coated set I had never ever rusted and have over 100 000 kms winter driving to use as reference. Obviously I will not do this on a first set of discs, but the replacement, in advance; Zimmer rotors etc. The difference is astonishing. To the readers, a reminder: when I say that I never had zinc coated rust, I am talking daily driving in a nasty salty Canadian winter.

I addition, zinc coating has two other advantages:

1- Discs never rust on the inside, or between the front rotor plates, or from the inside out (happened to me once on a set that accidentally sat 8 hrs in a pool of water (torrential rain) and they crumbled from within in 5 months!)
2- Will never chip or crack like a paint, and not relative to rotor temperature.

What is mystifying is why does BMW not do this as standard... I suspect maybe on the higher end M performance..

All the best

Last edited by Musashi; 05-25-2013 at 07:44 PM.. Reason: adding pic
Appreciate 0