10-29-2013, 08:36 AM   #11
chrisny
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AEC
3. I don't really buy in the "economical" arguments for the diesel. Setting the side the issue of saving a few hundred bucks a year when purchasing a $70k vehicle as being "economical", the diesel costs more than the gas engine and diesel fuel cost more per gallon than premium gas. In the Northeast and Midwest, diesel fuel gets more expensive in the winter making it much more expensive than premium gas. I think you would need to have to drive much more than the average person to see any meaningful savings from driving the diesel.
4. As far as the diesel being more convenient because you have to fill the tank less, you have to balance that with the inconvenience of relative difficulty in finding a gas station that has a diesel pump.
^ this.

Same point I made, unless you drive more than average or keep the car for at least 5 years, you're not getting any cost savings. I like diesels, don't get me wrong. I see the appeal of the added torque, but you can't look at a few mpg improvement in a vacuum. Add the cost of that fuel and the additional cost of the car compared to the 35i. That takes time to recoup. That's why I asked if the OP was leasing or buying. To me, a diesel doesn't make sense on a lease.
Appreciate 0