10-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #11
jbeene
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 16 435i GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13
I've owned 15 BMW's and every car was a manual except a 1997 528 auto which I regretted about a week after buying it. The auto may be quicker but it's the fun to drive factor that an auto just doesn't have. I have a X1 28 with the 8 speed and its great but just never as fun as running through the gears with a clutch and stick. I'm ordering another manual 228 and I'm 60 so your never too old. I also despise the fact that BMW's keep getting bigger and heavier, the 228 reminds me of my E46's and my E36's. My 1995 325 and 1996 328 weren't the fastest cars but they were a blast to drive.
Couldn't agree more. I'm going to miss Mt's and will likely keep my M forever as a result. When even the GT3 goes flappy paddle it says something about the future of MT's. I'll still get a GT3 but it will be more of a covet/track car than a daily driver. Ya its faster than an MT but to me there is nothing better than a perfectly executed heel and toe downshift in preparation for a corner. Even shifting at 4500 is an absolute joy in the M3. Such great sounds.

I couldn't find an MT when I was looking at new coupes earlier this year so ended up going with a low mile 11 E90 M3 so I could get the MT and the color I wanted. I did find one that the dealer had marked up $13,000?!?! No thank you.

I know I would have regretted dct. AT is great for the X1 and X5 but not in the car I want to enjoy driving. Who knows I may hate the pdk in the GT3 and end up getting the prior version to get an MT. Odds are I'll have to find a privately owned one to drive as there won't be any in stock to try out.

M2 with MT as a dd is pretty appealing when and if my M3 gets unreliable...