12-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
Sapper_M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by karussell
having lived with ceramic brakes for past 3 years in a GT3 i would be willing to bet whatever the option cost is for them plan on doubling that cost for replacements. on the GT3 RS PCCB's cost $8k as an option. to replace just the rotors costs $16k. they wear out fairly quickly on the GT3 if you track frequently and the course involves a lot of hard braking. long straight to hairpin turns. sears point, laguna seca come to mind. also the pad compound is significantly softer to maximize the useful life of the ceramic rotors so with heavy usage the pads go very quickly. on the GT3 i can use up a set of pads in a weekend. replacement is when they are same thickness as the backing plate. all this on a car that weighs 400 lbs less. so if you intend to track the car a lot i suggest sticking to steels and replace them with PFC or another multipiece slotted floating rotor.
i don't think BMW is going to be replacing rotors if they think the car has been tracked and they will say they should last 100k miles. for me, i switch to steel rotors which are a direct fit and doesn't screw with the abs system. if the steel rotors are identical to ceramics hopefully its a viable option to select the ceramics when ordering and then shelving them.
as for feel, after driving both the steel braked cars and ceramic i can tell no difference in throttle response or braking. thats porsche though. with bmw ymmv.

The man knows what he's talking about.
Appreciate 0