View Single Post
      10-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #7
sg335
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
firstly you need to be either god or a racing driver to get consistently quick laps constantly, so therefore dont mod your car untill your fantastic, but who on earth does that... even if the car isnt set up properly it will give the driver more confidence in his machine (as it will feel taughter) and therefore lower lap times
Maybe, maybe not. I would agree that a firmer suspension may feel more confidence inspiring to some, but the stiffness may scare some as well. In theory, one would think this to be correct. But I would like to see facts to prove the theory. I can run multiple laps back to back within .5 seconds at any road course. As you suggested, you need to due this study with the same driver, same day, same tires/wheels, same power, etc. with only the shock/spring being the variable (both must either have or not have the same sway bars). I can tell you from experience that a poorly designed coilover system made and tuned more for low ride height and street comfort will not always drive better or faster than a good stock set up. My original comment is based on the fact that the stock sport suspension, once you remove the run flat tires and put on a good street tire like the PS2 or a race tire like the Nitto NT-01 (both of which I have run), the car performs at least on the street significantly better in all respects. I just wish I got some base line numbers at the track with the stock set up before my mods. I don't like the stock fender gap, but if it was faster at the track, the 4x4 look would be ok with me.
Appreciate 0