View Single Post
      07-31-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
MarkY
Private
Rep
Drives: 330Ci

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of ignorant comments/haters but it may also be a reflection of the public's perception whether it's true or not. Outside of this forum the feeling I get is that BMW as of late is the favorite punching bag amongst the general population of car enthusiasts and journalists. Now, should we care? No. But I think you're kidding yourself if you think that outside of this sphere that people are in love with BMW and M division lately as we are. As BMW caters to more non enthusiasts, the enthusiasts become more displeased.
I think this comment is spot-on. As much as I love BMW, I became disenchanted over the past couple of generations and kept holding out that they would return to their roots. Now that I actually need to replace my car, I started to think Porsche might be my answer but decided to give the new M3/M4 a look. While I still desire a 911, the M3/M4 is the way better value (if you consider a $70k+ car a value) and doesn't give up too much to a base 911 (in most typical driving situations). But I only know this because I looked hard at BMW again. All of the automotive reviews on BMW going "soft" hasn't helped their cause among enthusiasts.
Appreciate 0