View Single Post
      07-31-2014, 07:35 PM   #19
FogCityM3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3 (E90) & Porsche GT3 RS

Like it or not, those comments can be seen as more reflective of a less biased enthusiast-based public at large (but probably not the general public at large, as you aptly put it). BMW M did change the definition of many aspects of what it takes to be an M car (forced induction, SUVs, heavier in case of M5/M6); between this and pouring salt on the wounds of tradition with the M4 nomenclature, enthusiasts get agitated when there is significant change from a previously successful formula. From BMW's perspective, as with any consumer products company, perception = reality and to overcome negative perceptions, they really need focus on WOW-ing people. Enthusiasts, while making up a very small % of the car buying public, get asked all the time about brands/cars by non-enthusiasts. There is a multiplicative effect of sorts, so in a way satisfying the enthusiast community can be seen as a way of building brand equity. Porsche, as an example, has perfected this by honing the 911 to near perfection and that does help sell its other vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
I'm sure there are a lot of ignorant comments/haters but it may also be a reflection of the public's perception whether it's true or not. Outside of this forum the feeling I get is that BMW as of late is the favorite punching bag amongst the general population of car enthusiasts and journalists. Now, should we care? No. But I think you're kidding yourself if you think that outside of this sphere that people are in love with BMW and M division lately as we are. As BMW caters to more non enthusiasts, the enthusiasts become more displeased.
Appreciate 0