11-16-2014, 07:51 AM   #1
MaynardZed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: wife crazy

Garage List
M4 back on track at AMP

Took the M4 out to Arizona Motorsports Park which is probably the nicest road course here in the Phoenix area. Fast flowing track with lots of run-off space. http://arizonamotorsportspark.com/ Unfortunately there are noise restrictions which limits its use. Wasn't sure if my E36 would pass sound check with headers and straight exhaust so didn't bother to bring it along with the M4. Also, haven't had the chance to put the E36 back together after my minor crash at WHP West track a few weeks ago.

This was my third time on track with the M4 and I followed my plan to progressively turn off all traction control devices. My first outing at INDE, I ran with DSC fully on just getting a feel for the car. My second outing at East track I run it in MDM mode, but still found it too intrusive. I rented a transponder here at AMP so I could get official times for the M4. As a point of reference, when I ran AMP about a year ago in my E36 track car (before headers and cat delete), I did a best lap of 1:58.62. To date I've been quicker on every track in it vs. the M4.

Stats on my M4:
Weight with driver: 3780lbs
Engine: stock except BMC filters and carbon filters delete
Suspension: stock
Tires: Toyo R888 265/30/19, 295/30/19 on stock rims
Brakes: Steel OEM rotors, Carbotechs XP12/10

First session of the day I still kept it in MDM mode, just getting reacquainted with the track. Was in a lot of traffic and did a so-so 2:01. I felt like I was just cruising around barely going fast at all. The car is deceptively faster than it feels.

Second session. Time to turn all traction controls off and stick with the plan. WOW, the car really wakes up! Very balanced, just gentle oversteer when adding throttle and no more perceived "lag" on upshifts. The "lag" that I was feeling before was obviously just the nannies kicking in. Best lap time in this session 1:56.555, 5 seconds per lap faster just by turning MDM off! Felt foolish that it took me my third trip to the track to finally turn everything off. The M division obviously knows what they're doing and put out a beautifully balanced and well behaved car!

Third and Fourth sessions. Progressively got a little faster each session. Could basically track down and pass anything on the track except for a couple of Porsche GT3's, the rare guys that know how to drive their Corvette, and fully prepped race cars. Here's a video of the last session of the day when my buddy Leroy and his friend are racing their E46 race cars through HDPE traffic as I'm minding my own business reeling in a couple of Porsches. Best lap of the day in this session of 1:55.002, a personal best at this track and more than 3 seconds faster than my E36 last year.

Very, very impressed with the F82. Superb balance and handling, wonderful torque and power, and precise steering. It does feel a little "detached" from the track as the M adaptive suspension smooths a lot of bumps out. The result of this is that you're going a lot faster than it feels, which I guess is a good problem to have.

Weakness is still the brakes. Even with the Carbotechs, I'd start to get a little bit of soft pedal 12-15 minutes into a hard run session. I'm thinking it may be the OEM brake fluid was getting overheated? It even kind of scared me on one high speed slow down as it felt like the car was just a tad imbalanced and skating a bit. I found myself braking a bit sooner than I would of wanted too. I have SS brake lines to install and will try another type of brake fluid I think. Any suggestions of fluid type or is everyone running OEM fluid still?

Only other slight negative I can say about the car, is that the way I'm set up in the car and how thick the steering wheel is, I can't see the speedo or tach at all. Would be good to be able to see the tach, but luckily the torque curve is so broad probably doesn't matter when you shift. I was just shifting be feel and engine sound. Didn't bounce off rev limiter at all that I noticed so I guess I'm good to go.

Thanks for viewing.

WHP East Track: 1:04.880, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:54.352
Road course laptimes for Porsche 911 991.1 GTS 7MT
WHP East Track: 1:02.770, Arizona Motorsports Park: 1:48.889

Last edited by MaynardZed; 11-16-2014 at 08:08 AM..
Appreciate 0