11-21-2014, 01:39 PM   #5
crashtestdummy81
Private First Class
England
Rep
Drives: YMB F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mobbin View Post
Good info in that thread, thanks for the link. Also, good to know that steel replacements may in fact already be available. It's an interesting option to me if the carbon rotors might last for 3-4 years with light track use and then you at least have the option of cheaper steel replacements. You would still have the benefit of greater heat dissipation from the larger-than-standard calipers and rotors even if you switched to steel.

Also, I didn't realize that the master cylinder and brake booster were upgraded in addition to the calipers and correspondingly increased rotor sizes, another nice benefit from checking this option.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
I do not know for a fact that the master cylinder is upgraded, I think it is actually the same; however, booster is different. I am with you that the biggest benefit of the ceramics are the calipers and the booster, rotors in a sense are icing on the cake since they are consumables.

In terms of longevity on the track, my personal expectation is twice the life of steels. And if actually BMW honors free replacements as part of maintenance, even only once, the price they charge for the CCBs are justified for me. If they don't replace them, then I'll go with steel replacements.

Different is likely to be the most accepted way of describing the brake booster for the CCBs, due to the longer pad length and greater pad track acting at a slightly longer radius and greater force applied due to the extra pistons but mainly the greater friction coefficient of the CCB compounds, the mechanical advantage provided by the brake booster has been reduced to avoid having an overly aggressive brake characteristic.

Should you change to steel rotors the pad/disc size and piston advantages will still be present over stock brakes, with the added disadvantage of increased rotating mass over even the standard M-compound braking set up.
The advantage of the increased friction coefficient will be lost and although it will still be possible to exert sufficient force to lock wheels, due to the reduced mechanical advantage provided by the brake booster additional force will be required at the pedal.

How this would feel as compared to the stock steel set up I am unsure (less booster but more rotor/pad) but compared to the CCB set up this would feel significantly softer.
Appreciate 0