02-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #12
jpsjr70
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdimagineer View Post
So having compared, ordered, and/or owned all of these, the BMW comes out on top for bang for the buck and overall driver's experience.

Range Rover completely turned me off. Their arrogance, atrocious rates, long lead times, horrible tech, and overall reliability make them the lowest on this list. They are gorgeous and definitely turn heads (the new SVR is tempting me), but I'd rather waste that money on other things.

MB has an interesting lineup right now. Most of their vehicles are about to get refreshed in some way or another. I've never liked the AMG SUVs for a number of reasons, mostly those who actually drive them.

Porsche is the strongest contender. I just can't stand their cabins. Way too many controls and buttons. More of a drivers car, but less ergonomic. The tech is also pretty bad. (Important to me.) Also the options list is pretty ridiculous when you order a car. My partner and I have owned a Turbo S which we custom ordered and did European delivery on. The dealer forgot an option out of the **115** choices we made and I ultimately didn't take the car - made them rebuild it. $200K loss for them, and frankly they weren't so pleased which ultimately soured our relationship.

I considered the new Cayenne, but I'm still not overall impressed with it. There's just something about the car that seems like I'm paying more for something that on paper competes less with the X5 M.

I have an X5 M on order. I think of this entire bunch the value, technology, driving dynamics, and overall ownership experience are better. I keep toying with the idea of switching brands but I keep coming back to BMW.
Interesting suggestion, well stated. Personally I would go with the Porsche Cayenne Turbo S with personal likings you want to choose. I feel its the better of the two, but I'm not a fan of Porsche Cayennes. I've driven them both including the ML 6.3AMG & the Jeep SRT, for all balls out fast I would say if Jeep SRT came with the 6.4 Hellcat, I would jump on that. The MB AMG is out, nothing refined or not even attractive looking. Porsche and BMW are really the only High Performance SUV/SAV that are really worth looking at. The complaint I have for BMW is that you can't personalize it more to your liking like Porsche. Range Rover, not even an option to look at unless you want to visit the Service Department more often. Just my two cents.
Good Luck with your choice

Joe
Appreciate 1