View Single Post
      03-23-2015, 01:01 PM   #16
Sam@Bimmerpost
Contributor - Editor
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 Silverstone

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Just got back from the Texas Trifecta at circuit of the Americas this past weekend. We had an X5M run during the weekend and it was rather impressive.

@sam@bimmerpost

with respect to your comments about MDM (M dynamic mode) did you make use of this setting at road America in the M4 ? If so, are you saying that the programming is significantly different (improved, via more lenient) in the new X6/5M than the M4?
From what I recall, when I was driving with systems on in the M3/M4 at RA, including in MDM mode, I saw and felt quite a bit of DSC intervention (flashing light on the dash). I saw and felt much less intervention at COTA with the X6M in MDM mode and there was so little in fact that I never fully disabled it. It wasn't in the video, but on one of the tight corner exits I got really crossed up. I had put my foot down hard in the X6M and the tail swung out requiring a good bit of steering correction. I was amazed that it let me do that, under power, with the systems on.

Granted, Road America is a much bumpier track than COTA and this track surface could've contributed to the additional intervention, but from what I experienced, I would definitely say that the MDM in the X6M is more lax than the MDM in the M3/M4. My speculation is that the engineers decided to keep a tighter leash on the M3/M4 given its inherently less stable rear-drive layout. I also recall a segment in the X6M press conference where they mentioned specifically the leniency of the X6M to allow "drifting" in the MDM mode. This is quite funny because immediately after the press conference we were sent to the driver's meeting where the first rule was no drifting!
Appreciate 0