03-06-2017, 10:41 AM   #11
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorAdamWest View Post
Wow, I am blown away at the ridiculousness of this. How you correlated brake dust to "softness" or stopping power is really astonishing. I have Ferodo DSUNO on my car and my wheels are completely covered in brake dust within 30 minutes of driving. Does that mean they aren't good for the track either? On my GT3, I'd see brake dust on the wheel just going up the street and back. Now, that said, I don't see much brake dust on my 328d, so I think it's ready for track time!
Thanks Mayor.. but you just presented an apple and an orange and a pear in three different situations. As stated previously, while the cars may be the same fruits, at the very least the conditions were the same.

I didn't correlate. I've made an observation that is supported by anecdotal evidence from drivers.

However you've lost the plot.

I presume that your ferodos actually stop well on track? Without fading ? I'm Glad you got them because That's NOT the case with the OEM M2 pads. ( I also like Ferodo )

Pads that dust a ton and yet don't stop you on track are worthless.

Some might even say ridiculous.

That's the problem with the OEM M2 pads.
If they dusted a ton and stopped with the same quality and feel of most other BMWs over the last couple decades then I wouldn't have made this post. :

This is the first BMW ( M or non-M ) that I have seen in my 25 years driving BMWs on track that isn't ready for moderate track duty.

I made this post because this is a departure from BMW in the past. Many people purchasing the BMW M2 will have come from another BMW. Any E36 M3 or E46 M3 owner that's runs in the intermediate level group has been able to take their car to the track with OE pads with no issues.

This is a simple heads up to keep people ( particularly former BMW owners and advanced level drivers ) from showing up at their local track on their stock M2 pads and being unprepared and wasting their money cutting sessions short or burning through their pads in the first day of a two day HPDE weekend

No different than recommending to a C6 corvette owner to make sure that they have proper cooling for trans before going to the track.

Experienced track drivers that were already intending to put track pads on the car .. keep on keeping on
Appreciate 0