View Single Post
      03-22-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
Franzino
Captain
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 MY17 / Alpine A110 MY19

My personal experience with track driving a BMW M and brakes…

I can call myself a “somewhat” experienced track driver (Nurburgring). I do around 8 - 10 trackdays a year (mostly Nurburgring). I have driven Zolder, Spa, Ecuyers and + 250 laps on the Nurburgring the last couple of years. I have a MY 2006 Z4M + MY 20017 M2. My Z4M is equipped with CSL wheels, Bilstein PSS-10 suspension and AP racing BBK. My Z4M was a dual purpose street + track car.

My brake set up for street and track on the Z4M are AP racing brakes (AP callipers, AP rotors, AP bell, etc) and always with Pagid pads (I tested a lot of different Pagid compounds over the years). The brake oil in my Z4M is ATE Blue racing (now ATE TYPE 200) with steel brake linings.

Personally I never had any issues with driving Pagid pads (RS-14 / RS-29 / RS4-4) on the street. I also never had any issues with switching between my Pagids pads and my street pads from AP (the pads originally delivered with my AP BBK). They only needed some bedding in after fitting them again and worked perfect. The AP street pads are death silent, the Pagid pads will always squeal like a pig.

I never had any issues with the steel brake linings and with ATE Blue racing brake oil. I change the brake oil every two years on my Z4M and the car braked good and safe from the first day till the last day with this brake oil. ATE Blue racing oil is now ATE Type 200. My braking style on track is short and hard braking….my cornering style is slow in fast out….

My track buddy who drives a Z4M coupe with standard BMW brakes, but also steel linings, same Pagid pads and the same ATE Blue racing brake oil did exactly the same thing as me. Meaning; driving on the street with Pagid pads + changing the ATE brake oil every two years. He also never had any issues on this department. In the end he also upgraded to AP BBK; because braking force, brake modulation and general fade resistance is way better with AP BBK then with the standard Z4M brakes (= same brakes as M3 CSL).

But we are not talking Z4M here and we are not talking AP BBK here…so what are my plans with braking on my M2 for track duty (Nurburgring). I will keep my brakes mostly standard M2 (callipers, rotors). Again I will change the brake oil to ATE Type 200. I will change this oil every year (instead of every two years on my Z4M). Every year; because the M2 is a heavier car them my Z4M and the standard M2 brakes will have a heavier and hotter life then the AP brakes on my Z4M.
I’m also going to fit steel brake linings and for the choice of pads I went with Endless ME-20. After all my years driving with Pagid track pads I wanted to test something different. I have only read good thing about ME-20 and heard also great things about these pads from people driving their M2 on the ring. They suppose to be rather silent on the street (I hope so) and are not to aggressive for the rotors (discs). Time will tell and the track <-> street test will start next month. Will report back!
Karlosm2c290.50