View Single Post
      07-14-2017, 04:00 PM   #1
Nezil
Major
Rep
Drives: LCI '18 6MT M2

Question Warranty & Servicing

After researching a few weeks back I now have a W37 allocation, with what seems to be the popular LBB, Executive Package, 6MT, Apple Car Play configuration.

I've now got the agonising wait until mid-November when it arrives, but that does give me time to think about some of the options that I might want, and also to think about extended warranty and servicing options.

One of the reasons that I'm planning on changing cars to the M2 is that my current car, a 2012 Jaguar XF Portfolio Sport (NA 5.0 V8) is out of warranty and included service plan, and it's started to really be quite expensive to maintain. Nothing has gone wrong with it yet, and it's even still on the original tyres and brakes, but the last service, which was just oil change,
filters and checking stuff, cost $1,800 and the next one I've been told will be $2,200!

When the Jaguar inclusive servicing ended, they did offer an extended service / warranty package, which I declined, because it was $4,000 if I remember correctly. Now that cost doesn't seem as extreme, but I'm anyway hoping the M2 will be slightly cheaper, and want to think about the most cost effective way to plan for servicing over the course of ownership.

Looking at the BMW USA service page about Ultimate Care, I put in the details of a 2018 M2 with 10 miles on the clock assuming a start date of today, and got the following costs out for Ultimate Care+, which covers warranty and servicing, including wear and tear items (I think):
  • 3 years / 36,000 miles - $600
  • 4 years / 50,000 miles - $1,349
  • 5 years / 75,000 miles - $2,349
  • 6 years / 100,000 miles - $3,499
  • 7 years / 125,000 miles - $4,549
The first thing that I noticed about this, is that the 2017 MY M2 configurator offers Ultimate Care+ and Ultimate Care+1 combined for $2,049, whereas the service website this totals $1,949; a $100 saving. There is a tag line which states "PURCHASE ULTIMATE CARE+ AND AN EXTENTION PRODUCT WITHIN 90 DAYS OF VEHICLE IN SERVICE DATE AND RECEIVE $100 OFF.", so perhaps the costs I bulleted above include this discount!?!

The other thing I noticed is the explanation that shows "As an owner or lessee of a new BMW, you can decide to add this coverage at any point before your BMW reaches the end of its current coverage.", so the Ultimate Care+ extensions can be added any time until 3 years after you buy the car!

I'm not convinced that I'll use up brake pads / wiper blades / clutch in the first 3 years, but I might in the future, so I probably won't be getting the Ultimate Care+ $600 addition initially, but may very well opt for the additional few years once I know if I'll be keeping the car beyond 3 years.

What are others doing with this?
Appreciate 0