View Single Post
      05-02-2018, 10:52 PM   #8
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

The 225/45-17 RS4 on the car

Got the RS4 225/45-17 mounted on the car, on the Monte Titano MT6 Vita 17x7.5 ET40.

Initial Driving Impression
So far this is just around town and a few twisty bits and on-ramps. Compared to the stock 18" 225/40 MPSS the 17" 225/45 RS4 are definitely stiffer, and seem to stick better in long sweepers. The RS4 has a good on-center feel, and the turn-in is agressive, although once you're in the turn the feel deadens a bit. I'm a bit worried when they do cut loose it will be more abrupt than the MPSS. We'll see when I get on the track and can push them harder (and where hopefully any runoff will be soft ).

They are really noisy compared to the MPSS. A constant howling sound. I've driven worse, but I really like a quiet car cruising on the highway, and the MPSS has the RS4 beat here.

On the whole, for street use, the MPSS is the superior tire. Quieter, softer ride, and the initial turn-in is nearly as sharp. But I can already feel the RS4 will be better on the track.

Visuals
You can't really appreciate how massive the RS4 225 is until you see them next to the stock MPSS. Here they are compared to the stock 225 MPSS. You can see how much wider the tread is. You can also see why the MPSS with their big channels are way better in the rain.
Name:  rs4 and mpss front.jpg
Views: 1027
Size:  187.5 KB

Here they are compared to the 245 staggered rear MPSS. Nearly the same contact patch.
Name:  rs4 and mpss rear.jpg
Views: 832
Size:  158.7 KB

Below are some pictures of them on the car. Not too ugly, but being a stock size they don't really fill the wheel well. The ET40 gives them a tiny bit of more aggressive poke, but still leaves lots of clearance if I want to try a 235 next. My winters are on ET32, and they poke too much. (Not enough to rub, but looks funny.) The ET40 being close to the stock ET45 should also lessen some of the twitchiness the ET32 can give me.
Name:  rs4 on car.jpg
Views: 1389
Size:  211.0 KB

Front clearance
Name:  rs4 front clearnce.jpg
Views: 884
Size:  71.6 KB

Rear clearance
Name:  rs4 rear clearance.jpg
Views: 736
Size:  59.5 KB
Appreciate 0