View Single Post
      04-03-2019, 10:31 AM   #1
Wild Blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 M50i, 2004 330i w/ZHP

Why I'm waiting for Model Year 2020

Just thought I'd list out reasons I personally am holding off on an X7 purchase until MY2020. May be other benefits I'm not thinking of too.

1. Let BMW work out 1st year production kinks, figure out what can be improved. (always happens with 1st year models that are revamped, much less 1st year of brand new production models)

2. New M50i engine available with 70 more horsepower. (although I'll likely still order 40i)

3. New exterior color choices coming. (although I'll probably stick with Mineral White)

4. New interior leather options coming. I'll probably be getting one of the new upcoming "Full Merino Leather" options, either all black, or Amarone/Black.

5. New interior trim options coming.

6. Hoping for production quality control increases for seating. (see threads on "leather seat wrinkles", less egregious in X7 than X5)

7. Hopefully laser light production supply resolved by then and available. Bonus if also available for 40i.

8. Another bonus if laser light de-tuning issue in USA resolved by then. (unlikely--has to do with US DOT laws/rules)

9. Hopefully multiple BMW Connected/iDrive/Wi-Fi hotspot/etc software/tech issues resolved by then, BMW should be learning from issues with both X5 and X7. (note: hopefully also resolved with software updates for MY2019 owners, but just in case any require new hardware, MY2020 should already come with it, instead of retrofit)

10. I think new Mercedes GLS release in MY2020 will get a lot of attention and buyer demand. Hoping that translates into more X7 discounts and more amenable BMW sales agents.

11. There is a mental perception of owning a "2020" BMW, vs "2019", particularly later down the road for resale to a prospective buyer. Kind of like saying you own a "2010" model year car, vs "2009". It's not just another year, it's a car from the current decade vs. the previous decade.

12. More of a long shot, but possibility of MY2020 incorporating new tech like 5G for the Wi-Fi hotspot, lidar, remote parking

13. Hoping for new wheel/tire options, including non-runflat tires. Right now there's just not a lot out there for 21" and 22" wheels.

14. Other new standard features and options that will definitely be coming, but as of yet are unknown.

Just me personally, but to me it's worth it to wait for 4-5 months for these 14 reasons. Sure, some of them are speculation or just hopes. I may have forgotten other things that are coming. And of course, the down side is the inevitable MSRP pricing increase for the next MY, and that you lucky schmoes get to own and drive your X7 now.

Flame away.
Appreciate 2
SaintD4.00
BigHunk269.50