View Single Post
      09-12-2019, 11:58 AM   #1
Max Well
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '22 BG X3MC, '20 BSM X3MC

F97 X3M Rear License plate mount - screws damaging paint

Quick question for those who have already taken delivery - did you have any issues attaching your license tag and frame and having the screws scratch the paint underneath? Here's a question I sent to IND explaining my issue and they thought it'd be helpful to also post here:

----

Greetings, all,

Although I know you carry CFRP and painted versions of rear license tag frames for the F97 series, I'm curious if you have any ideas about the actual mount which was changed in the F97 c/w the G01.

As you know with your in-house model, they changed from being able to screw all four periphery screws directly into hard points, to a rather cheap-looking rubbery mount which itself has two screws to hard mount to the X3M, then four free-floating rubbery points for the actual license tag/frame to attach. And because they can go through they even provide 'foam' stickies to place on the backside.

The problem is the use of the 'self-tapping' screws which come OEM in a package at Delivery are either too long or too short. I chose the longer ones initially, and even used a washer and the foam, but unfortunately all four went through the foam as well, so that by the time I got home from the Dealership they had already made a mark and chipped the paint in all four spots.

So I used BMW touch up paint which I fortunately asked for at Delivery, and now am using the short ones which barely hold.

It would be great if you could offer a simple CFRP (and/or painted metal) back mount with the two main screw holes to mount to the car, then have it provide screw holes to screw the license tag and frame in - it would prevent this from happening. It could be sold as a rear license installation 'kit' if you will.

I can't believe I'm the only one who has had this happen so far, given how flimsy it is... Did you have this issue, and have you checked the paint behind your license?

Many thanks for advice/thoughts/plans for making something for this. If you want me to, I can post this question on our F97 forum to see what everyone else is doing and gauge interest?

Thanks,

Max

----

I would attach some images if I could, but I'm afraid to remove the small screws now. If anyone has access to the back end of a new X3MC at a Dealership and can share an image that would be great.

Any advice/suggestions much appreciated.

Last edited by Max Well; 09-13-2019 at 04:52 AM.. Reason: Added 'Rear' to title to avoid confusion w/ front mount questions.
Appreciate 0