View Single Post
      05-13-2008, 04:28 PM   #20
DaveC
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330 Touring

Bigger intercooler = larger temperature drop for the air going through it which equals colder and denser charge hitting the cylinders, but it will increase lag (a little) despite what some have claimed as there is more volume of nice compressable air between the compressor side of the turbo and the cylinders.

The biggest air/air intercooler in the world wont reduce charge temperature to less than ambient air temperature so you really need to know if its a limiting factor in the current setup - ideally you'd get a temperature sensor in there and see what its doing. The increased boost from a tuning box will always push up the charge temperature so if you can drop a bigger cooler in without major modifications I'd say try it. My guess would be there will be small gains but nothing dramatic - tuning boxes dont ramp up the boost all that much.

Carlos - I dont even know where to start! Your car produces significantly more power on a cold damp day than it does on a stinking hot summer day - thats a difference of what 25degC max? There is no such thing as a struggling intercooler - they all cool to some extent but its a question of how much cooling they do and if getting another 10degC cooling would help. It's why water injection increases power and one of the nice side benefits of nitrous - cooler charge = more bang.

Of course, if the turbo is maxed out as someone said then things might be different, I'd guess cooling the charge more would cause the turbo to see an increased airflow or pressure drop if it couldn't meet the demands.
Appreciate 0