sor
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2023 iX M60 Oxide

Garage List
2023 BMW iX M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerBahn View Post
Yes, it's not good for the battery to be consistently charged to the full capacity. I've owned a Tesla for a few years now and have set my max daily charge to 90%…. It was 80% until Tesla updated their recommendations. I expect the same will be true for any other BEV. When I charge at a DCFC, I'm only charging to 80-90% as it usually takes as long to go from 20-80% as it does to go 80-100%

Cheers!
I agree with this in general, it's a good rule of thumb to not charge to max day to day, but ultimately it comes down to how the EV maker is doing battery management. It's possible that with the locked/unusable capacity and BMWs specific management they don't expect any significant longevity wins by recommending an 80% daily charge.

If you are purchasing the car and want to keep it for a long time, without specifics instructions from BMW limiting the daily charge is the safe thing to do.

It's interesting to see how the battery management differs between manufacturers. Looking at the charging curve on the iX and other EVs, I'm a bit spoiled by my e-tron that charges to 100% at almost full speed. I expect to trade in the e-tron for maybe an iX or a Macan EV in a year or two so I'm scoping all of this out.
Appreciate 1
Needsdecaf6954.00