09-07-2022, 08:15 PM   #13
ryo-
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '22 MWM M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC3LLR8 View Post
I changed the oil myself yesterday at 1,070 miles. Did it need it? Probably not, but I don't care - it's what I wanted to do. Besides, I'm about to leave on a 2-3,000 mile road trip and wanted fresh oil.

It was my first time changing an oil filter not located on the bottom of the engine, but it was a piece of cake. The only thing to cause an issue is the oil was literally like water, and when it hit the ribs on the oil container it splashed all over the place. I think this was my first time to change oil in a car that used 0w20, as I've never encountered such water-like consistency before from thicker oils. Glad to put in some 5w30 Castrol Edge Euro Formula. I'd actually do 0w40 before I'd go back to 0w20. Long OCI's, turbo, performance driven, and Texas heat are all reasons why. 0w20's main purpose is MPG, and that's not what this car is all about.

It's also really weird not having a dip stick to look at when I'm done, but the most comical part is if you want your oil life computer reset you have to go visit your BMW service center!
how did your oil look when you drained it? I am on the fence of doing a 2k oil change...
Appreciate 0