08-13-2008, 04:10 PM   #19
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLud View Post
I've got a long drive on country roads to get home from my dealer. When I first pick up my car, before hitting the highway, I'm going to begin bedding in the brakes (15 minute process followed by taking it easy on the brakes for the first 600 miles). This will also allow the drivetrain and oil to warm up for the engine break-in.

1. Once warm, I'll get on the highway to head back home. I'm going to start by doing 3 half-throttle pulls up to the 5,500 rpm limit, each followed by engine braking down to about 3,000 rpm. I will then pull over for about 15 minutes of cool down.

2. I will then do 3 more pulls at about 3/4 throttle up to about 6,800 rpm, each followed by engine braking down to about 3,000 rpm. I will again pull over for 15 minutes of cool down.

3. I will do 3 final pulls at full throttle up to just below redline, each follwed by engine braking down to about 3,000 rpm. I will again pull over for 15 minutes of cool down.

After this is done, I'm going to take it relatively easy on the car until the 1,200 mile service. I'll make sure to vary the engine load and rpms, and I'm sure I'll go over the 5,500 limit occasionally.

I used this procedure to break in my E46, and it held its oil like a champ, got noticeably stronger over time, and I never experienced any drivetrain issues. I don't see a good poll option for a calculated diversion from the recommended procedure, so I didn't vote.
I don't think you'll need to let the engine cool for 15 minutes after a 1/2 or 3/4 throttle to 5500. Just do say, 80% - 90% throttle up to 5500 rpm especially for the first few hundred miles and always keep varying the rpms within break in. Be sure to use lots engine braking during this time. Whether you go to 6800 rpm or redline, or use full throttle is your choice. But BMW recommends against this.

I'm glad to hear that you E46 M3 engine experience was like mine. I'm sure the E9x M3 engine will be just as good.