Italy
Rep
Drives: 08 135i, 88 M3

Garage List
1988 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 135i  [7.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTdrivin1 View Post
well, i'm in upstate NY and i'm driving on the stock 17" perf RFTs. let me tell you, they are aweful in the snow. even in the cold (below freezing) it's like driving on marbles. i've got a winter beater i've been driving the past week because of all the snow, but i finally got the 1 out last night and today because the roads are clear. as long as you take it easy in the cold, it's not that big of a deal. it sometimes gets squirrely on on-ramps, but the traction control is great at keeping it in-line.. don't turn it off.

so in summary... if it's cold out, just take it easy. if there's snow on the ground, forgetaboutit.
JT summed it up pretty well here. summer tires + winter don't mix. i've got my 1 stored for the winter, but i took her out 2 weeks ago for a drive n just by rolling on the gas, i could spin tire in gear through 3rd without even thinking about it. i bet i could chirp into 4th if i tried...

point is that you really owe yourself some legit snow tires. all seasons will get you by, but snows are IT. my old car (98 a4) has become by winter car and through 6 years of driving i have never once been stuck. i credit that to the snows way more than to the quattro...and badass driving

Appreciate 0