05-12-2009, 01:28 PM   #12
Citizen Z
Alpine Master
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i AW Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHZR2 View Post
Please, PLEASE tell me that they used Pennzoil platinum EURO formulation in 5w-40 version... PLEASE?!?!??

Otherwise youre using an oil not designed forthe heat, direct injection, etc., and you're practically doing more damage than running a bit low.

THe dealer was the only choice. You HAVE to have control of oil quality, and run of the mill synthetics arent even the right choice... especially for the N54.
This is true if you're going 15,000 miles between oil changes, however your run of the mill synthetics are perfectly fine for a 5000-7500 mile interval.

Direct injection doesn't create a special lubrication requirement. They only operate marginally hotter than normal injection engines; its just that direct injection evaporates the fuel better creating a more complete and slightly hotter burn but its not as dramatic as you're making it out to be. Its not like the N54 has some sort of rediculously crazy cooling requirment and has a MASSIVE radiator and coolant reservior to compensate for teh omg si h0t!!11one. You could even get away with normal oil based 5W30 if you're willing to change it every 3000 miles.

Fastness: http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=252727
Appreciate 0