herbz
hi
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 325e

Quote:
Originally Posted by youyou
Wow...
Ok I really don't know what happened here but i think a few people got aggrivated with my post.
Well let me clarify one thing here.
I did read Vishnu's thread.
And like i said it was very overwhelming to someone like me who is not very knowledgable with all the technical jargon.
So i'm NOT here posting because i want some answers without reading anything.
I am not lazy...
I know some of the other questions i asked have been answered in Vishnu's thread but i wanted a bottom line answer to all my questions in one post.
Maybe there are a few people like me who didn't understand it all too well and would be happy reading this thread.
Now to the people who gave me some answers.
Thank you.

Now in terms of Dyno graphs i have no idea whatsoever what they mean...
When i look at them i don't understand a thing.
And the reason I love thise forum so much is because there are wonderful people here who will take the time to actually help other people out.

to understand Shiv's entire post, try to read through the wall of text i just wrote for you below. it might clarify a few things, but you'll have to read it carefully.

A dyno chart is nothing more than a measurement chart of the cars Horsepower and Torque. The car is placed on a special machine and floored in several gears to measure the power at the wheels. A "dynamometer", which is the tool used to create dyno charts, measures "wheel horsepower". wheel horsepower is different than crank horsepower (power at the engine). Power is created at the engine, then goes through the transmission and eventually gets down to the wheels. Wheel horsepower is always lower than crank horsepower because of gear friction and other losses due to heat. Manufacturers list crank horsepower as opposed to wheel horsepower to make their cars look more powerful. BMW said the BMW 335i has 300bhp. A stock 335i measures between 275-285 wheelhorsepower on a dynamometer, which is quite a low loss of power, and points BMW's measure of crank horsepower to be pretty conservative.

now, as far as Shiv's mod. a great thing about turbocharged cars is the ability to get easy power with cheap, reliable, and impressive gains. this is consistent with ANY turbocharged car ever built. they are extremely easy to modify, and the bmw is no acception. to go into how he does it will force you to understand how a turbocharger AND an engine works and that may be too much detail for one read. but briefly, he plugs a computer into the car and uploads a custom "map" which has more agressive fuel, air, and ignition timing approaches which ultimately create significantly more power.

a great thing about Shiv's mod is that it is reliable, and 100% REVERSIBLE! meaning that if you ever had to sell the car or get a tuneup you could take off the advanced map and put the stock one back on.

go to www.howstuffworks.com and look up "how an engine works" and "how a turbocharger works". it really explains alot and can help you understand the technical shit that gets thrown around all the time.
Appreciate 0