12-02-2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Weedo
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe, 2006 IS350

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu
And even that is rarely a perfectly safe approach. I haven't priced out a replacement 335i motor but i'm guessing it's a bit more than an Evo or Subaru block. The problem with meth injection is that it relies on simple high pressure jets to squirt methanol. The methanol is used as fuel (in addition to gasoline from the standard injectors) and as a method of octane enhancement. If the jet clogs, the car runs lean and without the necessary octane to support the boost and aggressive timing curves. And it is very likely that the engine will fail with in the following second or two. There are precautions that we have taken in the past to keep this from happening (XEDE's lean-run protection, for instance, which cuts all fuel if the car runs leaner than X for longer than Y milliseconds). But even with that, it's still not as safe as running straight methanol or gasoline through the injectors. But when it works, and tuned for properly, it makes for great power.

cheers,
shiv
I ran a GT-67 Turbo on my Denali with 5lbs of boost. But had a 2nd setting to run 9psi with Methanol Injection. The extra 4psi along with the injecion added roughly 100awhp and more torque! I only flipped the switch for short bursts when I had to smoke someone unsuspecting or when I took it to the 1/4 mile track. The best part was just filling up the tank once per month or so; made it easy! But I felt comfortable knowing I had one of the best Tuners in Phoenix tune it on the street. Good stuff...
Sport - Premium
Appreciate 0