2007/335i/coupe
Falling in Love with German Boost
Rep
Drives: 335i, E350, Accord EX, GSXR750

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radgator1
Okay, here's a question that has been bugging me

I always assumed the reason they don't sell 93 octane at the pump in Cali is because of our emissions laws but then there are places you can buy 100 at the pump so why not 93? You would think someone would step in if it was legal, because there would be quite a bit of demand.

What am I missing?
As far as I know, there is no law in California that requires a minimum or maximum octane rating. California gasoline is manufactured differently (such as adding deposit control additives) than other parts of the country which also makes it more expensive to manufacture. With the elimination of MTBE, ethanol is used to substitute for MTBE helping to increase octane rating. This itself can fluctuant the cost of gasoline as the cost of ethanol goes up or down. I suspect California only gets 91 octane due to cost, marketing and overall demand. We already pay a premium for gasoline here and increasing octane in the fuel will only increase the overall cost. As much as I would love to see higher octane fuel offered at the local pump, I actually doubt that there is a demand high enough in California to justify changing or adding 93 or 94 octane at most or all pump stations. But I did speak with a VP racing fuel or Torco fuel representative (I can't quite remember now) and there is a program initiated where they will open up almost 50 locations in California that will server 93 or 94 fuel. :rocks:
Appreciate 0