View Single Post
      11-20-2005, 06:36 PM   #5
ivanwibi
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 320ie90 Silver

Garage List
2006 E90 - 320i  [0.00]
I had noisy brake problem with a Land Rover Freelander front discs (over 2-3 months), you have to established if the noise brakes for at the front or rear or both ends!, the noise is caused by brake pad dust wedge/rubed between the discs and pads, and causing a vibration on the callipers/rotors and you can hear it. In the case of LR, they changed the brake pad twice, not fixed, then they change the worn/more like groved rotor (discs).

I think in your case the brake pad has cut a grove in the disc, and the grove is contacting with the brake pads in a concentrated points and caused the noise(I assumed high pitch noise).

In the old days, they can machine the rotor to eliminate the groove, in case of LR, they inheret the BMW traits (during BMW reign to 1998)of non machineable rotor discs, so they can't be machined! But they may grip better with softer rotor????

The dealership may not change the rotor and pad combo (expensive) they are more likely to deglazed the pad outer connection to the callipers pistons and re apply the glazing (trying to decoupled the vibration/energy flow), clean the assembly and test, its cheaper and labour intensive and BMW will pay the dealer more!!

Dealers will apply the cheapest option then waste your time and give you the more expensive solution later. Let us know if your dealer did otherwise.

Then if it is still screaming, they will replace the rotor/pad combo. That is what happend to me. My LR is now fixed.

My 3 series only done 1200kms, and fingers crossed, they are still very calm..........

Nov 04 Landrover Freelander TD4, Silver, 17" Freedom Wheels, one tough little hippo.

Appreciate 0