View Single Post
      06-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #17
330iTiAg
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Lightbulb Insight into the new M3 knob...

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattbam View Post
I know after talking with Jason at Tischer that the knob for the M5/M6 is different than the knob for the new M3 (part numbers, shape, etc.). If I am not mistaken, the knob shown in this DIY used the M5/M6 knob. Can anyone confirm this?

I bought the knob for the M3 thinking that it would be a closer match to my 335i coupe. It was not. Check out the photos below. While it does in fact snap directly onto the iDrive hub (white piece underneath the knob shown in Photo #3), there is an unsightly gap (compare Photo #1 and Photo #2). Note that there is also slight color variation between the knob and my brushed aluminum trim (Photo #4). The M3's brushed aluminum trim is specifically called ‘blue-gray’, which might explain this difference in color. It won't be noticable for those with wood trim.

Now, after doing some additional research, I have determined that the black escutcheon trim plate, which encircles the menu button and knob on the console, is different on the M3. On a non-M car, this trim plate is almost flat (actually slightly recessed). On the M3, this trim plate 'ramps up' about 3/16" higher to meet the knob. The M3 trim plate might be the trick to making the gap disappear. I sent Jason an e-mail to confirm this? I am awaiting his response.

Note also that I got my knob (Part #65827839520) from Tischer for less than $46. Places charging more than this are ripping off people. This knob may still be on backorder from Germany. So, it may take a while to get.
Attached Images

Mods: Full Venture Shield protection kit, RPi scoops, Euro fog light switch, LUX V4, clear reflectors, OEM black chrome grilles and side gills, black hood vents, IND F10 M5 shift knob and boot
Appreciate 0