06-22-2023, 05:36 PM   #1
TechE
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, U11 X1

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
DIY - How To Change Your U11 X1 Oil

Since I haven't seen a thread for this I figured to make one as I did mine today at right under 4,000 miles. Time to get that break-in oil out and put some fresh lube in. Note that this is for the xDrive28i and won't apply for the rumored 35i.

Tools:
- T55 hex bit
- 1-1/4" or 32mm socket
- 17mm socket

Supplies:
- 6 quarts BMW LL-17 FE+ or LL-12 FE approved oil, either 0w-20 or 0w-30
- Filter kit - BMW p/n 11428570590

Optional:
- Extensions
- Wide flat head screwdriver

The job:

- Easy stuff. About 20 minutes. Always get your engine to operating temperature first. Raise your X1 up by however means. I lifted by the front jacking points and did notice more oil drained versus while parallel.

- Open the two covers underneath by swiveling the plastic tabs. You can easily by hand or use the flat head. They'll be a bit stiff the first time so bend a crease to encourage them stay down.

- Loosen the oil pan bolt with your 17mm and let drain until mostly done. Next move onto the oil filter. Pull the encased wiring out from the clip, otherwise it will be in the way. Use the T55 next to remove the bottom plug from the filter canister. Once drained remove the canister with your 1-1/4" / 32mm.

- The filter pulls right out of the canister. Replace it and the large o-ring on the threads included in the kit. Put a light layer of oil on the o-ring. The filter has a plastic clip, make sure the new one pops into the canister. Pro-tip; before closing either drain, put a splash of new oil in up top to push out remnants. When re-installing the canister it's easier to push it in by hand until seated, then tighten to 25nm. Lightly coat the o-ring on the new canister plug, tighten to 5nm. Don't forget to put that wire back in the clip. Lastly, install the drain bolt with new crush washer. Torque spec currently unknown, but snug it until you feel the washer do it's job. Close up the 2 covers.

- Fill with 5 and 1/4 quarts oil. A little under is always better than a little over. This got me right at the full mark according to the level sensor. Always check your level after.

- Mildly celebrate saving some money versus the dealer doing it for you.
Appreciate 9