View Single Post
      12-28-2023, 03:20 PM   #12
SpaceSilver.X1
world's slowest BMW driver
Rep
Drives: U11, G60, W211, AZ20

Quote:
Originally Posted by KosticKen View Post
If you change the oil yourself in the UK you can say goodbye to your warranty even if you have the receipts for the proper oil and filter.
Leaving the EU hasn't helped either, they have enforcible rules about this but the UK lets them get away with it now.

Any service is a BMW Dealers cash cow and they aim to keep it that way. If not done by Main Dealer and logged in IDrive they will count it as a missed service and invalidate the warranty and also give you far less in part-ex as they won't be able to sell it as "BMW Approved" and make a packet usually at least £3,000 mark up after their expenses.
I had to have my X1-F48 2yr Service done independently in Covid lock-down as couldn't legally or physically have it done at dealer 35miles away. When I came to sell it they were dead keen at first but when they discovered it had "missing service" upped the total cost to change by more than £2000. I eventually found a dealer who didn't seem to care (or was desperate enough) and when I sold it in exchange for X1-U11 it appeared on their forecourt as "BMW Approved Used". Strange Business.
Worst still ....I had an X3-F25 2yrs old when the Screen Washer Pump went Kaput. They asked me if I had always put BMW Approved Washer Fluid in the tank. I said NO as it is difficult to get hold of at 2:00 am in the middle of nowhere (and costs 5 times as much as the same stuff in the Supermarket). They replied saying it wasn't covered by warranty then and I would have to pay. (£200 as it is an awful job...wheel and wheel arch lining/trim has to come off to get to it).
You can imagine my reply, they fixed it and I heard no more.
I'm so glad that 4th of July is a holiday here. If we are still part of Great Britain, the BMW dealers may subject us to the same treatment that British BMW owners face?
Appreciate 0