I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggi View Post
Guys, after pinging BMW tech support for dozens of time, they finally revealed why the Wireless Android Auto is NOT working....

Wireless Android Auto requires both Bluetooth connection to the smartphone and Wifi-Direct 5GHZ connection to the smartphone.
The 5 Ghz frequency must be supported and enabled by the Wifi-Direct Hardware which is part of the BMW head-unit.

The WiFi-Direct hardware within BMW head-units from the recent years typically support the 5 GHZ frequency (and also the 2.4 GHZ frequency).

BUT... in some regions/countries, BMW failed to comply with local regulations to support the 5 GHZ frequency in such way that it is not interfering with local network infrastructure (which is also using 5 GHZ frequency).
So, in such regions/countries, BMW just silently disabled the 5 GHZ frequency of its WiFi-Direct, which means that BMW's WiFi-Direct actually operates only at 2.4 GHZ frequency, which is not enough for the Wireless Android Auto to work.

BMW does not provide this information in the error message displaced in BMW Head-unit, upon connection failure of Wireless Android Auto.

BMW does not provide this information in their Web Site and in their FAQ

BMW online tech support does not provide this information when you open a ticket. (They typically tell you that the problem is with your smartphone, or you need to upgrade to the latest software version, or other irrelevant stuff).

When you log-in to your BMW web portal with your VIN number, BMW shows that the Wireless Android Auto is fully supported and operational for your specific vehicle.

So, not [...]
The iPhone uses both Bluetooth and 5Ghz wifi to connect to your car for wireless apple carplay. As far as coding goes, the U11 X1 seems to be locked down so tight no one has really figured out how to do any advanced coding with it, and BMW could possibly deny warranty coverage.
Someone previously stated they were able to use CarPlay using a usb cable, maybe this would work for Android Auto as well?
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0