03-30-2024, 02:24 AM   #13
Cam330i
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlynn92 View Post
Hello all,

Just got my car back from the dealer for some carplay issues with ID9. They were somehow able to update it to the new 03/2024.30 software update. I was very surprised to see this since I haven't even seen it released yet, so I wanted to detail the changes I see in the X1. This was not available OTA for me, nor was the 11.2023 update. My dealer was not sure if the 03/2024 update was a dealer load-only update or if it would eventually come to OTA.

Updates:
  1. Carplay Issues: Are they fixed? The short answer is no. On the way home from the dealer, I noticed numerous audio cutouts. However, the phone calls seemed way more stable. I'm going on a road trip this weekend, so I'll tinker some more. There does appear to be a "hey siri" integration that allows the use of Siri without pressing the button. Haven't tried it. I'm very disappointed this doesn't address the car play cutout issues, as this probably means it will be another 3 months at least before we see a fix.
  1. Auto Start/Stop: There's a new button for deactivating Auto start/stop when selecting the drive settings button. (Photo attached) This eliminates the need to go into the settings to turn it off. It still does not allow this feature to be turned off by default as far as I can tell. In addition, there's no button state to show auto start/stop deactivated. Terribly inconsistent UX, but it's better than nothing.
  1. My Modes: A bug caused the gear icon to not consistently appear in the top right corner when changing drive modes. That icon now appears consistently after selecting a drive mode.
  2. Drive Recorder: Activated and working. I noticed some said this came with the dealer load 11/2023 update so not really new news here. But coming from 07/2023 I was happy to see it added.
  1. Driver assistance plus: Like others have noted, this wont activate via the connected drive store despite having the correct hardware. Still no luck on my end even with the new software update.
  1. My BMW App: I do not see the remote window open/close feature in the app yet. I'll keep an eye, as the app still says my car's software is 07/2023

That's all I've seen for now. I'll update this thread if I notice any more changes/improvements. If anyone else has this update let me know!
Hellooo!

I have a few possible "alternative solutions" to some of the issues/concerns that you mentioned in your post. I have seen this work in the X1's with iDrive 8 (correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the X1's never received iDrive 8.5 and went straight from iDrive 8 --> iDrive 9), and so maybe these could apply to X1's with iDrive 9!

Disclaimers:
1. I assume you are in the North American region and so the methods down below may or may not be applicable to X1's owners in different regions!
2. I also assume you are LOGGED IN to your profile (BMW ID)

Alternative solutions:

2. "Auto Start/Stop"
2A. You can add the "Auto Start/Stop" menu to your favorites and this can be done when you press and hold the menu and then the car should ask "add to favorites". Once added, you simply pull/drag down your "favorites" and once you select the "Auto Start/Stop" menu, it will take you directly to the menu where you can hit "deactivate once". This method is slightly faster and more convenient than having
to go: "Driving Settings" --> "Auto Start Stop" --> Deactivate once

2B. Whenever you select "Sport" mode, it will disable the Auto Start/Stop function. (i.e., the engine will stay on). You can configure the driving settings with "Sport Individual" and you can put the drivetrain, chassis, and steering wheel all into "COMFORT". In other words, "Sport Individual" can allow you to drive in SPORT MODE while using the comfort/normal/personal driving mode. Now because we are using "SPORT individual", this will disable the Auto Start/Stop feature, because remember, any variation of "SPORT" mode will disable the Auto Start/Stop feature, thus this is another way to keep Auto Start/Stop off/disabled.

A few side notes about Sport mode:
1. The layout of the instrument cluster will become smaller or more narrow and you lose the ability to change the ambient lighting color - Sport mode changes the ambient lighting to Red and Indigo and there is nothing you can do about it (meanwhile the X5/X6/X7/XM with either iDrive 8 or iDrive 8.5 has a unique setting where you can separate the ambient lighting color from the driving mode (e.g., I can drive an X7 in Sport mode, but have the ambient lighting color set to Turquoise)).
2. You can also add Sport mode (any variation of it) and ECO-PRO mode to your "favorites" and so doing this will allow you to change the driving mode without having to go through the "MY Modes" button/menu

2C. Lastly, driving with "MAX A/C" will keep the engine on and disable Auto Start/Stop! Keep in mind that you can adjust the fan speed (and I believe the temperature?) while using MAX A/C (e.g., after hitting MAX A/C, I can lower the fan speed, while still keeping MAX A/C active.
NOTE: I believe and assume this still works in the newer BMW models, but I'll double check tomorrow - I'll ask the Loaner department if I can borrow an X1 with iDrive 9!

3. You can by-pass MY Modes by saving either Sport Mode and/or ECO mode to your "favorites"! Once saved to your favorites, your driving mode will change, thus allowing you to by-pass "MY Modes"
Side note about MY modes: Personal, Sport, and ECO are the only modes that will change the driving dynamics of the vehicle; "Expressive, Relax, and Digital Art" modes will have no affect on the car, as they serve as themes - I hope I'm making sense?

4. WARNING about Drive Recorder: When doing a software update on a lot vehicle that has iDrive 8.5, there is a disclaimer that states "your drive recorder settings will reset and your DRIVE RECORDINGS will be erased". I am not sure, nor could I confirm, if this happens to iDrive 7 and/or iDrive 9 users, but I have only seen this with iDrive 8.5 and I would rather you be safe than sorry!
- I drive a 2021 BMW 330i with iDrive 7 (I named him "Hrag"), and all of my drive recorder settings are still the same, and I have two drive recordings from 2022 and they are still there, despite doing many software updates!

5. Remote Engine Start and the myBMW app - Similarly to the drive recorder resetting itself following a software update, Remote Engine start will reset (factory settings has Remote Engine Start disabled). If you want to re-enable Remote Start, you'll find the setting under the "Climate control settings". Vehicles without Remote Engine Start (or disabled) will see only a fan under the "remote services category"; Vehicles with Remote Engine Start and have it enabled, will see a fan and an arrow on top of the fan in the "remote services" category
NOTE: You may have to hit "All services" under your vehicle's Data Privacy to get the most out of the app!

A few side notes about Remote Engine Start:
- If your vehicle does NOT have Remote Engine Start ($300 option) from the factory, but would like to have this feature, you can add the feature by purchasing it from the Connected Drive Store for a price of $330 and there is no limit to how many times you can use the feature or how long you have it - it says "unlimited" when viewing it from the connected drive store.
- Remote Engine Start can be activated via the myBMW app (do this if your vehicle is not within range of the key) or you can activate it via the key by pressing the lock button 3 times and holding it on the 3rd click
- I've noticed on many MY24 BMW's that there tends to be a slight lag when activating Remote Engine Start via the key and there has been many times that I've used my key to remote start my car, but after thinking the first attempt was unsuccessful due to my car not responding, I would then do a second attempt, which usually results in attempt one starting the car and attempt two turning it right back off! -____-
- Similarly to other MY24 BMW's, I have noticed Remote Engine Start will NOT activate if your vehicle is on "Fuel Reserve", which only comes up when (I believe) your vehicle has less than 50 miles of fuel remaining, but more than 30 miles of fuel remaining. When doing a remote engine start on a car on fuel reserve, you would only see the lights flash, but the engine will not start and you'll likely encounter a "remote start not possible" notification pop up on the instrument cluster.

Closing thoughts/opinions
- I hate the iDrive system in 2023 - present X1's/X2's; I find myself having to take my eyes off the road more and more to deal with that thing, and the small font and icons further makes it worse. I see people eventually running out of patience with that iDrive system and will just tape or position their IOS/Android device over the screen and use it for media, navigation, etc. If I had an X1, all you would ever see on my screen is AUX or Bluetooth Audio/Apple CarPlay
- Those using Apple Maps (IOS users) should know that Apple Maps is now better integrated with BMW's iDrive system and so Apple Maps can now be seen the instrument cluster and Head - Up Display (HUD)! Google Maps and Waze can also be used, but I have not seen them show up anywhere else besides the Apple CarPlay menu (i.e., I have yet to see Waze and/or Google Maps show up in the instrument cluster and Head - Up Display)!

Anyways, sorry for the rather lengthy post, but I hope the advice/methods listed above can help you and other X1/X2 owners out there!

If you (or anyone else) have any other tips or advice to offer, I encourage you (and anyone else) to share it!

If you have any additional questions, please do not hesitate to ask me (us) - we all family!

Fun Fact: Before I got my 2021 330i (G20), I drove a 2018 X1 (F48) and a 2015 X1 (E84) and were both named "Brennan" and "Elliot" respectively and so I have a soft spot for the X1's! hahah
Appreciate 1
RNorb242.00