View Single Post
      04-02-2023, 07:08 PM   #8
bri1042
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 IOMG M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by user12464 View Post
Not sure driving summer tires in winter causes premature wear. The main issue is if you park in temps well below freezing then summer tires may crack if moved before they warm up.

If it's dry, summer tires are better for stopping and handling even down to freezing. Just don't want to go much colder than that.

For wet driving, summer tires start to lose traction about 50 degrees F. They aren't undrivable when it's colder than 50 and wet but you have to be very careful.

Bottom line is if you can avoid driving you M3 when it's below freezing (pretty rare in Portland) no need for AS tires.

The video below is very informative:

Yeah, I'm the Portland and area and the increased rain driving performance from using PS4AS's or DWS06+'s is well worth it. I'm no longer new to RWD M's in Portland "winters" and I absolutely do not think it's worth the risk (24 Portland winters, 5 with RWD M's). Too much tailgating, too many emergency maneuvers required due to random Subaru stupidity.

Wet driving is what matters here during "winter".

Sorry, the cost of tires and a spare set of wheels just isn't that big of a deal compared to what these cars cost or the trouble of damage due to the car not being what it should be going down 26.
Appreciate 0