04-26-2024, 09:50 AM   #8043
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
When I drove my first EV, I quickly realized that while being an automatic, because the torque curve is essentially flat, it is always in the correct "gear". EV are really just one-speed manuals. I'm a die hard manual transmission guy, but if forced, I could live with a single-speed EV. I say "forced" because the battery-power architecture just sucks and is stupid because of limited range, long recharge cycle and weight. Fix the battery (by using an ICE-generator), then I'm on it like stink on poop.
It's just a none issue for me. Fortunately I have other cars if I had the need to start driving cross country and for my regular driving it has more range than I ever come close to using. I even charge with the slow 110v charger and that's plenty for me. Most days I don't even go anywhere or drive maybe less than 5 miles.

That being said I have taken it to NC a couple of times and I don't mind it at all. We usually go in the Cayenne and it pretty much takes us 12 hours unless we get some crazy traffic. In the Tesla also takes about 12 hours. We stop regardless especially traveling with 2 dogs.

Once up there it's more of a pain because I have a detached garage with no power and closest supercharger is 30 min away. So if I was there all the time I would probably skip the EV or more likely just have power ran to the garage (which I may do anyways).

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagon View Post
Well, I've got an F80 alongside a diesel G21 and I also don't really crave an G80 or the new C 63. I've driven all kinds of G8x cars and they've left me cold... so I kind of understand. Zero desire.

But, for me, still BEV = daily commuter only
Most of my driving is daily commuting around town in traffic. I would HATE to drive my miata for most of my everyday driving. I see it as the right tool for the job. Day to day driving I think EV is the best tool for me. Just like I have a truck to tow my RV because that's the best tool for that and the miata is the best tool for having fun on mountain roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M5Rick View Post
You know I never even thought of that side, holy s#it you can count me out of ever getting into an EV, No thanks.
Daaaamn... so guaranteed death by burning alive you were on the fence about... but a little EMF is just too risky huh?
Appreciate 1
gblansten2098.50