04-24-2024, 06:18 PM   #7
chicagox7
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 Q7, 07 RDX, 23 X7 40i-soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredcohiba View Post
We were in Ireland last year. Four adults. We reserved a mid sized SUV and ended up with a Kia Sportage. With the luggage and backpack carry-ons it was close quarters as at least one backpack had to go in the back seat. Even going to the airport for the flight there, we were in a 2018 Passat and not everything fit in the VW trunk (which is huge).
Here is a tip. We saved a ton of money on the car rental by buying the rental insurance here from AAA rather than through the rental company. But because we did not buy the insurance through the rental company, they put a $5000 credit hold on our charge card which we got back when we returned the car sans any damage.
Watch out for that right hand driving in the left lane on those skinny roads…
Great advice on the insurance. I’ll have to look at that coverage.

It’s been a while since I drove in Ireland and it was a compact at best. How often dis you end up on the narrow roads? While are bouncing from larger ‘city’ to ‘city’- recall some smaller roads even when trying to see the major attractions. Assume I may end up on smaller roads more often than I’d initially think (slowly recalling the amount of time spent driving on grass shoulders so as to fit 2 cars on roads…). Will be spending time in Kilkenny, Kilarney, Cork, Linerick and Galway.
Appreciate 0