View Single Post
      04-09-2024, 01:55 PM   #33
Maui_M
Rep
Drives: 2024 X1 M35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWBoris View Post
I am currently in the process of receiving OTA update for 11/2023 but it seems to be taking ages. A half hour run in the car only downloads about .1GB of data and it is a 3GB download.

Anyone else experienced this slow download?
We had a similar experience with the 11/2023 download. Got the OTA update notification April 3 (7:34am HST) and immediately went to the M35i to start the install.

Day 1 had 0.1GB parked at home, Day 2 had 0.2GB still parked at home, Day 3 got 0.9GB as the car was driven in town on errands. Day 4, still 0.9GB at home. Day 5 more errands got 1.5GB, then I decided to continue driving in town Day 6 and watch for cell signals to determine what locations made the download proceed. Through trial and error, I found being close to large cell towers made progress in downloading. Found a parking lot in between 2 cell towers (5G) in line of sight, and got 0.1GB every 4 to 7 minutes - by then from 1.5GB to 3GB took roughly 3 hours of random driving errands in town, plus the last 0.5GB to get to 3GB in a parking lot for 40 minutes. Not ideal, but after 6 days of waiting, that method worked for us.

All seems fine after installing, Driver Recorder and Augmented View now present - (was on 07/2023.73 which was a OTA update after late November delivery and took maybe 30 minutes to install). CarPlay audio drops continue, but random and less frequent with longer periods without drops.

Seems folks on the east coast US have received notification of the 03/2024 OTA download - hopefully we will get that one next. If so, I plan to wait a day after the notification and hope the full download goes to the iPhone first on home high speed WIFI before initiating it via the in-car system at the beginning. An odd quirk is that small APPS seem to download in a minute or two at our at home parked location, but the large system OTA update stalls. It’s a mystery?

Side note: Wish BMW NA would implement an option/preference to download via mobile device first (only) on the My BMW App for this scenario of large downloads opposed to relying on the OTA cell signal networks which may be too slow in non metro areas - just a thought!
Appreciate 0