View Single Post
      03-25-2024, 04:16 PM   #6
MarcVD
Rep
Drives: 418 dA

I have a X1 Xdrive 30e that I recharge at home 3 or 4 times a week, in my driveway (the garage is for the wife's car because she does all the grocery shopping). I have installed a charging station with attached cable - the dumbest model I could find because I don't need any fancy functions, there is enough intelligence in the car for all I need.

This is the model I got :

https://www.carplug.com/circontrol-wallbox-ehome-7kw-32a-monophase-cir-ehome-borne-de-recharge#/122-protections_electriques-sans_protections/222-circontrol_beon_intensite-sans_module_de_charge_dynamique_beon

Using such a station is much easier than the BMW flexible fast charger that you get with the car. Park the car, program the recharge on the car's computer, plug the cable, all done.
Much easier than having to fish the cable out of the car booth every time you must recharge.

I installed it myself, just an additional circuit (with its own 30 mA RCD and 20A breaker) and 20m of 3G2,5 cable. Half a day of work. I have set the current limit in the station to 16A in order not to overload my installation. That's 3,7 kW of recharge power, or a full recharge in 6 hours.

If you chose a station with scheduling functions, you must not use the scheduling functions of the car, but leave it on "charge immediately". The charging process will start at the time specified in the station - before that, the cable is not powered, so the light under the car's charging flap will remain amber, until the station decides to power it up. But it's not really needed to have such functions, the car does it already. And it's very easy to manage with the My BMW app.

One last remark : make sure you pick a charging station with DC 6mA protection included. All recent models have it but there are still some vendors that try to sell older models that are not protected. If you don't have that, you must change all the RCDs in your service panel.
Appreciate 1
Sebbak0.00